• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

NIA.. vid clip of breathing. U/D Happy pic!

capel

Warren Veteran
She's still eating etc, but has slowed down considerably over the past 2 days. She just tends to move from food bowl to water bowl to litter tray and doesn't actually take much interest apart from when we bring her a treat.We've noticed that her breathing seems to have changed, and have taken a short clip of her nose to give you an idea. We're not sure if she's been doing this for a while and have only noticed it since we've been observing her closely. You'll notice her shaking her head as well..this is new and she does it quite often.

Last edited:
awww - I see what you mean with the nose wiggle :? As far as I know their nose wiggle increases as their excitement/interest level increases, so a slow wiggle means she's not interested in anything, but her breathing does seem a bit laboured too :? The head shake as well - looks like something is irritating her, or maybe it's just an automatic twitch caused by brain damage - she does sound brain damaged, with her not being so interested in things - I would treat her as if she's brain damaged, and not assume she can do things for herself any more - She looks well though, and comfortable - I think she's maybe got the bunny equivalent of alzheimers, caused by the e-c and the fitting episodes?

Poor little love :( I have seen a few buns like this and a good friend of mine had one like this at the moment :(

I know she is too weak to undergo a GA but would your vet be able to do a chest x-ray whilst she is conscious? I am wondering if she has something going on inside her chest.

I don't know if your vet would give you it but you could try Metronidazole (Flagyll) as this can help with her breathing, as would nebulising - providing it doesn't stress her:?

I would say that the head shaking is to get the breath into her, it's very annoying for them to breath like that and they shake their heads to clear things and to get a breath.

Vibes being sent to her - she's so beautiful - xxxx

Hilda were you around when my Tilly-May was poorly? Im not sure that Nia & Tills problems are exact, but the more I see/hear, the more similar things seem...

Elve: She's still plodding on and managing to keep herself clean and livens up when she sees food. In fact, she seems to be hungry all the time!
Jaypot: She had a chest X last ray Monday which was clear.
Becki: I think I was and remember it vaguely..have you a link?
I'll send Kevin an email with the video as I don't want to add to her stress by carting her up there.

Hi Hilda

I cant view the video ( my 'puter probs :roll:) But from what has been said it sounds as though Nia has reduced air entry into her lungs. I do keep thinking back to her UC I am affraid :cry::cry: I really hope I am wrong though. Are her lips a bit bluer than normal ? Or perhaps its just how they appear in the photo

Janex

Karen, I think it's a combination of age and Ec and all the traumas she's survived so far, so don't think there's much to be done other than make sure she's comfy and happy. So hard to watch and wait though:cry:

Last edited:
Elve: She's still plodding on and managing to keep herself clean and livens up when she sees food. In fact, she seems to be hungry all the time!

That reminds me of the piggies - they are the most brainless little dears and just live to eat, potter about a bit and groom themselves - I know a lot of mentally handicapped humans only 'come alive' when presented with food, so I would think she's very much brain damaged compared to a normal, inquisitive bunny, but so far not brain damaged enough that she can't still enjoy life :)

I'm glad that she had an x-ray but I still feel as though the main problem is in her chest, either heart or lungs :( I've seen it so many times and looking at the way she is trying to get air into her lungs is exactly the same as buns I have had before :(

I think it's a great idea to send the video clip to the vet as this will let him see her in her own environment :)

I would let her eat what she wants as she is using a lot of energy to breathe and will need extra sustanance :) Is she still eating hay?

Poor little girl - it's so sad seeing them like that - you just want to make everything better for her.

Hi jaypot..she still has a hearty appetite and is eating hay as well. She has porridge every morning before her pellets, and still wolfs down brocolli, greens and carrots. We've upped the heating in the room so her body's not having to expend uneccessary energy to keep warm.
Jane: Her lips and gums are still a healthy pink..What's UC?

Jane: Her lips and gums are still a healthy pink..What's UC?

Sorry, Uterine Cancer. I thought Kevin found a large tumour when she was spayed :?
UC usually metastasises to the lungs. I am not sure how easy it is to detect on Xray in the early stages. My Meg exhibited the same respiratory symptoms as Nia, preceded by unexplained weight loss. Meg was found to have UC when spayed and her weight loss then respiratory symptoms developed about 10 months later

Poor Nia, its one battle after another for her isn't it

Janex

We had a similar dilemma with our Missy back in Feb. Woke up one Sunday morning and her breathing was very laboured and her nose was moving strenuously, other than that she seemed her normal self pottering about, we think it was either her heart or lungs - she was old, 10yrs. We took her to the emergency vet... so wish we hadn't, would much rather have seen our own. We can't stop beating ourselves up about it, so my advise is hang in there if you can, until you think she may be suffering. Good Luck

Jane..Sorry, I'm not thinking straight! yes, the cancer was extensive and Kevin told me at the time that in such an advanced state the chances were that it may have metastasised and only time would tell. Yet another reason for early spaying.... I've emailed Kev now.

This is how Lilac is sometimes, she has her mass inside her near her bladder and bowels,She wees and pooes everywhere now,sometimes i go into feed her she is breathing like this like shes in a trance,then she will shake her head and come over to her food,If she gets really stressed her breathing will get worse so she is vaccinated at home now not sure how much longer i will have Lilac she has had the mass since oct last year so everyday is a bonus real

I've been thinking along those lines since last week as well. I knew she was on borrowed time after her spay, but hoped it wouldn't be this short..:cry:

Back