• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poo Problems

mykl

New Kit
I had a rabbit who passed away ten years ago who lived in a hutch (or outdoor run on nice days). As we only let him run around the house for short periods we didn't try toilet training him - we just cleared up after him. Last week we bought a dwarf lop (he's now 7 and a half weeks old) and he's a crazy li'l ******! We want him to be a house bunny but he doesn't restrict his toilet habbits to one corner. We cleaned the cage last night and put litter in the two corners he had peed in but he urinated BETWEEN the two litter patches. Within 2 mins (literally!) of putting him back in his clean cage he'd done 15-20 poos ALL OVER THE WHOLE FLOOR. If we let him run around the house he hardly does any poos and has never wet anywhere. Is this normal for a rabbit in the first week? Will he settle down into cleaner habbits?

Hi Hun

In my experience of both male and female rabbits, males tend to be a bit more spread happy with their poo, ie they will do it anywhere, mainly I find this is to do with territory marking, females do it in one nice corner where it is easier to clean.

It probably is the fact that he is new in the house and making his mark about the place, I am in asimilar position where new male rabbit in the house and I have 3 sets of poo piles lol. I also find males to be a bit more lazy than females.

I am sure he will settle down soon hun.

I agree with clutterydrawer - to be honest he's really still too young to even be away from his mum so it's no surprise that he's not toileting perfectly - he's still a baby! He will be old enough to neuter in a couple of months time and most bunnies will toilet train themselves once they have been neutered. In the meantime I suspect there's very little you will be able to do to help - how about some puppy training pads so it's easy to just clear them away?

So the recommendation is wait till he's three months old and have him neutered then he'll improve?
I'm relieved you all say it's normal! I'm used to rats and they can be toilet trained much quicker.

So the recommendation is wait till he's three months old and have him neutered then he'll improve?
I'm relieved you all say it's normal! I'm used to rats and they can be toilet trained much quicker.

My vet would not neuter my male rabbit till he was 6 months old I am just waiting till i save up enough money to get him done.

Back