• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor Housing

lornatrae

Young Bun
Hi, I've just read the threads about using NIC cubes to create a bunny home and found a nearby shop that I could get them from. I have one indoor rabbit but I'm thinking of getting a second one and would need a bigger cage for them. But when you build these NIC condos how do you clean them? And what do you use for flooring?

Martha's house is one of these at the moment, just temporary until I try the bond and they move into their dog crate. Hers is three levels with carpet upside down as the base. I just hoover it out. Martha is a very clean bunny though and pretty much always does her business in her litter tray so I'm lucky there, but I've found it very easy to clean.

Hi, I've just read the threads about using NIC cubes to create a bunny home and found a nearby shop that I could get them from. I have one indoor rabbit but I'm thinking of getting a second one and would need a bigger cage for them. But when you build these NIC condos how do you clean them? And what do you use for flooring?

Some people use correx which is a plastic cardboard which is sold on ebay, it is the same stuff as most for sale signs are made of.

You need to build the 'hutch' making sure that you have sections that you can remove. there are a few ideas about construction on http://www.guineapigcages.com/types.htm and a few designs, please do consider that many of these are for piggies and will need extra height to be allowed for use with a rabbit. There are also a few ideas on this page http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/hutch2.asp

The bottom level of mine has nothing, I have a wooden floor in my room so it's easy to clean, not that Maddie is messy anyway. :) The upper 2 levels I use fleece, again great for me because she's so well litter trained, but perhaps not so much for a messier bunny.

This is my cage by the way;
002.jpg

They are the best ever! I've done free roaming with her - I loved that but my mum though she was too destructive :roll::lol: and I've also had a dog crate, hated that! NIC cages are perfect, you can build them to fit your individual space. :D

Yes they are. :D Thanks! The cage doesn't look exactly like that now, that was when I first built it, but it's not much different. I'm so proud of it! :lol::oops:

Back