• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another rabbit?

chris123

New Kit
Hi

I have a 9 month old mini-lop and was wondering if it'd be a good idea to get another rabbit to live with him. He is very quiet if not a bit unsociable. He doesn't liked to be picked up at all but can be petted when he is in the mood. I also got him neutered a couple of months ago.

He lives out in a 6x4 shed i bought for him and it has been converted into a giant rabbit hutch with a 8x3 run attached.

Have I enough room for 2 of them and is it a good idea to get anoter one?? I would like to get another rabbit but am a bit worried about them not getting on / fighting etc.

Hello,

A lot of the rescues that post on the forum would be happy to help you select and bond a rescue rabbit if you are looking to go that route. Sounds like a brilliant home :D.

Neil

Getting him a friend sounds like a fanastic idea. All my rabbits live in pairs and they are so happy.

Most rabbits don't like being picked up anyway, so don't think it's because he's unsociable.

If you have a look on Rabbit Rehome and see a bun you like, most rescues are able to bond them for you.

Good Luck

Most definitely get him a friend. Rabbits love companionship and I think they flourish when they have a friend. I know he may seem a bit unsolciable at the moment but I m sure he'll be a different bunny if you gt him a girlfriend!

I too had Bobbin my mini lop for 9 months before getting him a friend. I was also unsure at first, and yes, the bonding was slightly nerve wracking to say the least - but I had the help of experienced bunny bonders thanks to the rescue!

Now he seems so much brighter, and it's so lovely to see him snuggled with his new girlie.

2346435526_5515c43a4e.jpg

Of course some bunnies just don't get on with other rabbits and prefer to be alone, but you'll never know unless you try ;)

I agree, if you get in touch with a rescue they should be able to help you find a match.

I'd had Inky for about 2 months before I tried to bond him. The rescue even loaned me an extra cage so that I had spare accomadation for the other bunny.

You sound like you have a huge amount of space for them too.

Thanks for all the replies. I wasn't sure whether to get a baby rabbit from a pet shop or go down the rescue route. I live in Carryduff near Belfast so i'm not too sure if there are any rescues near me or not. I'll have a look about on the internet and see if I can find any.

Your bunny would be happier with a friend :) I had a lone bunny for over a year and now she has a companion its so sweet to see them running around together.

If you buy a rabbit from a pet shop, there's a chance they won't get on and then you'll be stuck with another single rabbit which you'll have to accommodate. If you get one through a rescue, they'll do the bonding i.e. introducing the two rabbits so that they get along, so you won't be stuck with two that fight. You'll also be contributing to animal welfare by providing a home for a rescue bun and you'll get info on your new rabbit's health, when buying a pet shop rabbit.

have fun finding your new rabbit, it sounds like a lovely spacious set up you have for them. :)

Does anyone know of any rabbit rescues in Northern Ireland? I have had a quick look on the internet with no results.

well i think in regards 2 getting a friend 4 ur bunny theres 2 reasons why a rescue bun is best...

1st... obviously it helps a rescued bun get a home in a rescue!
2nd... the rescue will often help you bond your bunny, and try a few partners if the first is not successful, which is good bcus it prevents the problem of having 2 lonely bunnies if the bond dusnt work out.

youre buns home sounds fantastic, and im sure he would love a wifey! one of my bunnies hates beign picked up shes like the devil, and i have on who is as snuggly as anything, and even tho they r both very different..they LOVE being together, they r sooo much happier:wave:

Thanks for all the replies. I wasn't sure whether to get a baby rabbit from a pet shop or go down the rescue route. I live in Carryduff near Belfast so i'm not too sure if there are any rescues near me or not. I'll have a look about on the internet and see if I can find any.

If you get a pet shop bun it'll need neuturing and the buns may fight as the younger one reaches maturity. You can still get a young bun from a rescue, it's also save on your wallet as bun will already be neutered.

I made the mistake years ago of getting petshop buns and each one cost me £68 to be spayed!!

I e-mailed the Assisi Animal Sanctuary and they said to ring tomorrow as they have a few young rabbits. So i'll give them a bell and see how that goes.

Thanks for all your help.

Back