• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

a question of nails...

Lauralou

Warren Veteran
obviously i don't want to put bun through the process of nail clipping if it's not necessary but i can't find any info on how long a mini lops nails should be before they are seen as too long? i know all about the structure of the nail and to not cut too short because of the blood vessel, etc.

he's 5 months now and his nails were alright when he had his jabs two months ago. he's not much of a digger you see, i know this can be a problem when it comes to claws. he's never been interested in the different digging boxes i've made him!

i just don't want to go cutting and snipping if i don't have to! and he won't let me touch his back feet anyway so i know when the time comes, it's going to be difficult!

I wouldn't do it unless you're very confidant. I've been doing it for years now and some bunnies throw a strop so they have to be towel wrapped. Also its harder to see the quick (blood vessel) in a dark coloured rabbit whose toes might also be dark. It is stressful for a lot of bunnies but toenail length seems to vary, at least with my lot it does. My darker girls have very long nails which grow super fast. My boys (mostly white with pink toes) seem to have constantly short nails. If in doubt ask a vet for advice. Some vets clip the nails too.

I wouldn't do it unless you're very confidant. I've been doing it for years now and some bunnies throw a strop so they have to be towel wrapped. Also its harder to see the quick (blood vessel) in a dark coloured rabbit whose toes might also be dark. It is stressful for a lot of bunnies but toenail length seems to vary, at least with my lot it does. My darker girls have very long nails which grow super fast. My boys (mostly white with pink toes) seem to have constantly short nails. If in doubt ask a vet for advice. Some vets clip the nails too.

i was thinking, he'll neutered within the next month or so, so i could ask the vet about it when he goes in. i can imagine i'd have a struggle on my hands, i just wasn't sure how long is "too long" if that makes sense... i don't want him hobbling without me knowing!

A couple of millimeters longer than the quick and level with the fur trim of the paws.

A couple of millimeters longer than the quick and level with the fur trim of the paws.

that's great, thanks! i can't even see his claws for fur :lol: i've looked at them with a light behind and i'd say they are just about perfect going by your advice. thank-you! :wave:

When I took my rabbits to the vets for a quick nail trim they cut one too short and made it bleed. Felt very bad for her. Since then have followed someones advice on here and started filing them with a round ended ordinary nail file. It works well when they are eating and they soon get used to it. Just be carefull not to do it too much and take the nail too far. I find my rabbits don't need it very often.

Back