• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need solution to hay problem U/D solved

oscarbunny

Warren Veteran
Ok so the buns are loving their new hutches, and i put them LOADS of hay in their bedroom compartments. Their litter tray is at the other end of the hutch. Unfortunately they have decided to poo and wee (mostly wee) in every corner of their bedroom compartment. Now i cant put the hay in the run as it will get wet (Although thats where Opal and The Benjamins' is at the moment underneath their hutch though, whilst their bedroom is drying out)

I need somewhere and something to keep the hay in so it doesnt get wet (so the run isnt really an option unless its summer) and its off the floor, because any hay on the floor gets weed on....

Does anyone have any suggestions, as i have run out of solutions to this ongoing problem. Why cant they just wee/poo in their litter trays. WHY WHY WHY?!

Last edited:
How about a covered litter tray full of hay in the run under the hutch bit for more protection ?

Floss & Bournville did that until I removed the partition which formed the sleeping compartment and put their pet carrier in there instead. Their litter trays are beside the carrier and I never have any problems with them weeing in the pet carrier. Here's what I mean:
DSC01348.jpg

ETA Their hutch isn't always that clean!!! I'd just put down a new piece of vet bed:lol: I put their hay at the front of the litter trays as in the pic and also at the front of the hutch next to the mesh as they never seem to wee there anyway as they like to reverse into corners to do it!

Last edited:
Oh right. That looks really clean. :shock: I have them some vet bed which i had just put down in their bedroom comparment, wonder if that prevents them from weeing there. Where is there hay then in their litter trays? What type of vet bed is that, mine is much fluffier.

As for a covered litter tray... covered how?

And i havn't yet tried a litter tray in their bedroom compartment, but i fear if i move the litter tray, they will use it but continue to wee where it used to be.

They seem to have some sort of motto:

"Where there is a corner, I will wee"

I went back and edited my post when I realised that it looked as though the only hay they have is in the litter trays:lol: Their hay is put at the front of the hutch next to the mesh. The only other corner available to them is where the ramp goes down so they didn't even try there:lol: It's just the basic vetbed, but it was new!! You should see it now! I actually ended up cutting it in half as the hay got really anchored into the fibres and it was a b***** to wash, so there's no vet bed where the hay goes.

So i should try and put the hay where there isnt a corner for them to wee in?
Whats at the other end of their hutch then in the corners?

Thinking about removing the bedroom compartment now. O/H is gonna love me. :lol:

Im going to get my thinking cap on, come up with a brilliant idea, and then pitch it to those on dragons den! :lol:

"It's a hay rack... that keeps the hay off the floor so your bunnies wont poo in it, but at the same time they cant jump in it and get stuck, and its big enough so that you dont have to refill it every 5 minutes"

Dragons... "I'm out"

Does the front act as a catflap, because if thats the case then brilliant. Although i did use something very similar (made myself) from a storage box with a hole cut in the side and they weed and pood in it too.

Yep it does :) I also have trays in bedroom compartments too ;)

Id like one of them just because they are cool. I know what i need i just need to find it!

I know they wont wee or poo where theres no hay on the floor

so i need this:

A hay rack.... like a trough but one that doesnt let the pieces fall on the floor (like the last one did), so it can hold the hay and they can eat from it but not sit it in and poo and wee.......

does this exist or something i have dreamed up?

I got some from Homebase for 99p about a month ago, they are untreated and large too.

I can see light at the end of the tunnel. Are they safe for them to chew on and eat then? And do you have a picture, as i will go and get one/two/three tomorrow for them?

Sorry to be a pain but you have been so helpful x

Hun I dont have any piccies because they are in my shed ready to use right now. I would use cable ties to attach them. Yep they are untreated so safe to chew etc :) They were next to some special offers when I got them. Hope this helps hun. If none at your store PM and Ill look at my local one again.

Hun I dont have any piccies because they are in my shed ready to use right now. I would use cable ties to attach them. Yep they are untreated so safe to chew etc :) They were next to some special offers when I got them. Hope this helps hun. If none at your store PM and Ill look at my local one again.

Its ok dont worry. Do you have a pic of something close to what they look like on the internet?? google images perhaps?

Back