• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

phantom pregnancy or not

Lyn29

New Kit
I have had a rabbit for 2 weeks now and i knew she had been with a male rabbit for 3 weeks before that. she is about 9 months but the male is only 4 to 5 months (they think). two nights ago she was pulling out fur, but kept it in her mouth.i left expecting babies in the morning. the next day she kept running in and out of the hutch but when i went in later there was no nest, only a little fur and no baby. would she have ate the fur. do you think she has had a phantom pregnancy. she is acting normally now. or would she have pulled fur out days before having them?

Hiya, if you post in Care or Rabbit chat someone will be able to help you.
There is a chance she could be pregnant, with the male being the age he is..he testicals may or may not have decended..... altho i think there is a bigger chance she is pregnant than she isnt. Sumtimes rabbits pull fur up to a week before a litter, somtimes they do it just before or after the birth. Just make sure you dont touch her nest. xxx

thanks XMissySJx but i did touch the hay as it was really thick and i thought i should check in case she had any dead babies in there. should i just leave it from now on. also she has the run of the garden. should i stop that to

well.. im no expert, my buns did have a litter but that a year ago, all fixed now tho lol! personally i would restrict her to her cage, or a pen attatched 2 her cage etc bcus u dont want her 2 have the babies outside!

Thing is, if the male was fertile, as in his bits dropped, she is almost certainly pregnant..... if you need to check the nest again, make sure you stroke her lots so her scent is on your hands. If and when they r born, theys hould be completly covvered, but uw ill know they r thre because you will see little bits of straw etc moving

Im PM a moderator n ask them2 mvoe this 4 us o it gets more views/advice! x

Back