PDA

View Full Version : sore hocks?

mini lop1
22-03-2008, 11:57 PM
mowglis hocks look a little red on both his back feet what can i do to help him

lisa

rabbitmum
23-03-2008, 12:54 AM
we use tea tree cream that you can get from a pet shop.
bathe them twice a day ,and dont clip the fur too much as it protects the feet.
is the bun inside or out? if you use littertrays make sure you put plenty of paper in the bottom as this soaks up the wee and change it regularly.
if out side put down plenty of paper also to act as a cushion.
bun will need a check up at the vets to prevent any worsening and help to make it better!
is it very bad? or just a bit red?

mini lop1
23-03-2008, 01:01 AM
erm its just quite red but long i only noticed yesterday when i was clipping his nails and checking his teeth and cleaning his scent glands
he's a house bunny
ill try and take a photo tomo

lisa

lisa82
23-03-2008, 11:05 AM
I was advised on here to apply some sudocrem and that seemed to work really well :D

Ida
23-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Why would you want to bathe sore hocks? I thought moisture was bad for their feet and sore hocks. I would say keep them dry, keep the litter tray and their area dry. Give them plenty of space to hop about, movement is good for sore hock prevention. Also make sure they're not overweight, and clip their nails often.

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/sorehocks.shtml

IzzyTwig
23-03-2008, 03:59 PM
If they're getting sore hock it's worth trying to find out why, such as rough carpet and cover it with something softer.
I use sudacrem on my rexes if they start to lose the fur and their hocks start getting a little red. Works a treat.

ZakuraRabbit
23-03-2008, 04:26 PM
I would think about how the rabbit's home is looking at the moment.
Sore paws can be caused by a rabbit standing on a hard surface, not enough exercise, wet cage or wire floor.
My rex got sore paws after a period of rain and I had neglected cleaning the cage for a few extra days. He looked awful so moved him indoors and he sat on a pillow for days at a time...he would only move to get food or go to the litter box.