• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nia down again.U/D 25 sec clip

capel

Warren Veteran
:( I wish I knew what is going on. I was in cleaning their run this evening and she was fine doing her usual thing trying to eat all of her porridge without Tim knowing, nibbling on hay etc. I left to take the old hay out to the bin and passed Rog in the kitchen on his way to take them in some greens. Less than 2 mins later he called for me...Nia was lying on her side in the litter tray completely out of it. Eyes glazed and her head showing signs of minor tremor. I took the decision to leave her quietly(very difficult), put the light out and see what happened. After about 10 mins she seemed to come to again and within half an hour she was sitting up eating hay. This was obviously another little fit..though the one she had at the vet last week was a bit more dramatic.I'm not taking her back to the vet as she's in no pain and is showing no signs of distress at the moment. I suppose this is going to be "Life with Nia" from now on...:(

Last edited:
Poor Nia. She is in the best place, warm and loving right now, with Tim by her side. Thinking of you all and sending lots of vibes xxx

Awwwww Hilda Nia sounds like my Eddie. He started to have seizures and 'absences' a few weeks ago. I also had another Bun, Billie, who developed seizures when he hit puberty. He went on to live for 7 and a half years despite having at least 2 fits EVERY day :shock:

Nia is coping with her problems. It is only you and Rog who have the worry they cause. Nia couldn't care less as when she's 'out of it' she's out of it and when she's not she is fine!! :D

Janex

So sorry to hear Nia is bad again - I hope this episode is quickly over and she is soon back to herself.......xx

Thanks for that Jane..I was sooooooo hoping that's what you'd say, but I just needed reassurance that I wasn't being a tad too fatalistic about her situation. She showed none of the post- fit agitation that was present at the vet, which I thought(as did Kevin) was probably worsened by her being there and also being handled when it's best to be left alone till everything's settled just as with humans. Rog has just shouted up that she's out of her litter tray now and eating greens. It was interesting to see that Tim kept well away from her while she was"absent"

Is there epilepsy meds available for bunnies? Our old dog had fits and there was a treatment for it. However, I know that some interbred types of dog like small spaniels, pugs etc. sometimes fit because their skull is too small. I don't know if this is ever the case with buns, or whether it's fatal. I think it just becomes an ordinary thing that you and they get used to. :roll:

I am sorry that you are all going through this with your darling wee girl.

Thinking of you.

I'm sure that Jane's words have given some comfort that she herself is not suffering.

I think it's more than likely that the fits are caused by E-cuniculi. She been on another 60 day course of it since the end of January, but the titre levels were so high that I expect the damage is already done and as such is irreversible:(

Sorry to hear that Hilda, Nia is such a cute little girl. I hope this is something that can be 'managed' without causing her too much stress.

Helen x

I think it's more than likely that the fits are caused by E-cuniculi. She been on another 60 day course of it since the end of January, but the titre levels were so high that I expect the damage is already done and as such is irreversible:(

Some anti-inflamms' may help if her 'absences'/ seizures become frequent. Its the inflammation/scar tissue from EC in the CNS that causes the symptoms.
My Billie-Bunny had a trial on sodium valporate ( Epilim) for his seizures. But it didnt help much and just zonked him out. I always had an emergency supply of Diazepam ( Valium) for him just incase he went into a big seizure that would not stop (status epilepticus). I had both Diazepam injections and Diazepam spansules ( given rectally). In 7 years I only ever had to use Diazepam once

Janex

oh poor Nia. I'm glad she's feeling better now and back again. It must be so worrying and difficult to see :( x

So sorry her illness has left her with this problem...
but what a lucky bun she is to be living with you and being cared for and loved so much...and having Tim of course:D

awww poor girl - I would try anti-epilepsy meds if there are any suitable ones - the damage caused by e-c is causing epileptic fits maybe, so although you can't reverse the damage you might be able to control the fits? My dad's epilepsy was caused by brain damage, so it does work like that.

Back