• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

URGENT- molly has just eaten ivy what do i do?

suzy_d

Alpha Buck
argghhh about 5 mins ago iv just seen molly eat an ivy leaf (about the size of a 50p) and i don't know what to do?

Hes still running around and eating hay etc.

Advice needed please :cry:

xx

im not sure if the leaves are poisonous but when my puppy ate an ivy root it was about 8 hours before she got very very poorly.

keep an eye on eating, drinking and pooping

One of mine ate some ivy years ago nothing happened to her but i made myself ill with worry. It depends on the amount they have eaten but i would keep a very very close eye on him.

he ate a small green leaf, about the size of a 50p, i have rung the vet and I have to skeep a close eye on him. im so worried i don't know what else i can do :cry:

Try not to worry to much there is not a lot else you can do, just keep a close eye out for any changes and make sure there is lots of hay and water avalible.

ivy might not be too poisonous in small amounts - I know dandelions are good for purifying the blood and getting rid of poison, so see if you can find a few of them growing somewhere - hopefully he'll be fine :)

he ate a small green leaf, about the size of a 50p, i have rung the vet and I have to skeep a close eye on him. im so worried i don't know what else i can do :cry:

Thats about the same amount as Tamzin ate, all you can do is watch carefully, cross fingers and get rid of the ivy plant

Sending don't get ill vibes !!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear this chuck keep a close eye on him i am sure he will be ok any changes at all i would take him to vets:cry:

Try not to worry. I think one of Karen's buns took a liking to Ivy at one point but came to no harm. I think the danger is if a large amount is eaten.

thank you everyone for all your advice its so helpful and comforting.

He is currently in my room (so I can keep and eye on him) and is eating a big pile of hay and done some poops etc. Its been almost an hour. DO you think I should just give him hay or do you think i should let him eat his evening veg?

xx

thank you everyone for all your advice its so helpful and comforting.

He is currently in my room (so I can keep and eye on him) and is eating a big pile of hay and done some poops etc. Its been almost an hour. DO you think I should just give him hay or do you think i should let him eat his evening veg?

xx

I would give the veg as the more going in the one end hopefully the quicker out the other!

I would think he will be fine, its usually in large quantities or eating it daily that it is more likely to poison a bun.
Just feed him as normal and any signs of discomfort or he stops eating or pooping get him to a vet.
Im sure he will be fine though :)

I feel sure one bit of Ivy will do no harm. Most varieties of Ivy need to be ingested in vast quantaties on a regular basis before any ill effects occur. My Jack used to climb the fence to get to my neighbour's ivy bush :? He probably ate quite a lot in his 7 years despite my best efforts to cut the bush back and stop Jack climbing :rolleyes:

Janex

I would think he will be fine, its usually in large quantities or eating it daily that it is more likely to poison a bun.
Just feed him as normal and any signs of discomfort or he stops eating or pooping get him to a vet.
Im sure he will be fine though :)

aw thank you, positive comments go a long way when you are stressed and full of worry. Hes still eating and pooing and wondering why I keep checking on him :rolleyes:

i had loads of ivy in my garden and before i knew rabbits shouldn't eat it mine used to nibble it from time to time and they were fine, i think they probably need to eat quite alot before its serious, maybe give your bunny some other veg to help take the edge off and thin down any toxins.

Back