• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panting

Brennan

Alpha Buck
A friend of mine asked me for some thoughts on her bunny - between us we are pretty experienced - so it's not rookie level advice needed please

Her bun just had his 3/4th round of dental work and she collected him Friday night... the problem is our rabbit vet is off now until Tues so she was unable to speak to her direct.. But she could see the 'locum' but you know what that is like - a pain in the butt sometimes

Ok some background:

He won't eat - which is 'normal' for him post op as he is a very fussy bunny so they are quite comfortable with the syringe feeding etc etc She mentioned she was giving him 10mls of Science R every 4 hours - but he is not pooping it back out.. she also said he is like this after an op - she has waited 7 days for a poo before now!!!!

The thing she is asking about is his breathing is very 'panting' at times, he is normally laying flat - almost like he has been for a run or something - he lays flat all 'stretchy' and pants

any thoughts on this? as I know it's worrying her a little

sometimes when mine lay down they breath more rapidly which makes then look like they are panting but I think if hw is actually mouth breathing then that can be a sign that they are having difficulty breathing. Also it may be normal for him not to poo after an op, but I don't think it is healthy. A trip to the vet may be in order to give him some gut stimulants.

Agree with Ecudc and would take him to the vet. Panting can also be from a high temperature e.g. an infection - has been with mine in the past when tongue was cut from a spur.

Personally I would get him checked out.

sounds like a vet trips essential..if its an infection..if its stress.it could all lead to gi stasis..just becasue hes had it before doesnt mean it wont be a problem..
bunnies need to eat and poop......

the vet can check for infections..antibiotics if necessary...metaclopramide injections and painkiller to get gut moving again and an appetite encouraging jab to help bun to get an appetite and want to eat. maybe a tube of protexin fibreplex too..it is always my first line of defence against gi stasis or no or small poop until the bun vet can see them within 24 hrs if its mild.same day if its urgent..and i can end up seeing a locum and oaying best part of forty quid in taxi fare to get there n back..but its not something that can wait until morning..i made that error as our bun got it very often..within 48hrs he was gone.....never ever underestimate the effects of not pooping or eating after an operation..

i hope he gets sorterd soon....good luck.

Back