• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dogs and Bunnies

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
Sometimes i bring my bunnies inside to play, and put our dogs in the utility room while the buns are inside. One of my dogs is 14, small but she HATES the buns, but she doesnt care if shes in the utility cus its so warm and cosy in there. Rocky our collie cross used to hate them, but now he sits by the run with them etc.

How do you introduce dogs and rabbits?

I was thinking put his muzzle on him, with his lead, put buns in indoor crate? If rocky liked them they would be allowed indoor more often

make sure theres nothing your dog is likely to protect... when we first had alvin he walked by a bone thing wed given ralph and he had evil in his eye... now his food is the otherside of the fence and we dont give him them bone things.... food is the only issue with ralph other than that he just ignores the buns and chippies :)

im just worried hes gunna hurt them, cus my dad thinks its a stupid idea, cus rocky chases rabbits when hes on a walk. but he doesnt see mine like that. he sits by the run and watches them...

Mine can chase rabbits when out aswell as sqirrals but that is just impulse when they see something dart of mine would not harm them at all in a domestic seting,my rabbits go up to the dogs and groom them then snuggle up under one of the dogs legs:lol:

animals within the same home are family hun... our old dog used to chase cats its natural to chase, but when taught its not allowed in the house the dog just seems to know the difference and the cats ruled..

same with ralph he knows should he hurt these angels hed be sold to the chinky :lol::lol::lol::lol:

try the introduction with your dog on a lead hun and see how it goes...

took me months before id leave ralph alone with the small furries the first night ralph stood over alvins cage drooling :shock::shock:

I will try it over the holidays when my bro can keep hold of rocky. i will put his muzzle on him too so he cnt actually hurt them.

If the dog fits in it I would start off putting the dog in the dog crate so the rabbit feels it can get away if it gets scared.

We were lucky with our family dog because she's grown up with cats and children and took to the rabbits really well (mostly by ignoring them). Then our old collie dog just thinks they are treat dispensers. The problem we did have was with terriers. Two yorkshire terriers one of my mum's friend's had would really want at them.

when my brother comes to visit me, he brings his staffie along too.

he loves rabbits...
to eat!

i end up having to lock them away in the garage while he's here.
:(

when my brother comes to visit me, he brings his staffie along too.

he loves rabbits...
to eat!

i end up having to lock them away in the garage while he's here.
:(

my brothers dog would probably attack my buns, she stays in the garden while they run free.....once or twice ive locked them in but i decided its their home sod her :lol::lol::lol::lol:

The rabbits were here long before the dog. We got Paddy from the Dogs Home, didn't know anything about him, you just take your chance.

Fortunately he feels at home with the buns, thinks he is one at times as he loves carrot and SS :lol::lol:

Good luck.

Mopsey and Paddy sharing an apple :D
007-18.jpg

Back