• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dental after only 5 weeks :0(

AliBenMummy

Mama Doe
Poor Billy has gone in this morning for yet another dental. :cry:

Its around 5 weeks since his last one...I noticed he had a wet chin on Thursday so he was checked and booked in for today. I've tried all methods I can think of to get him eating hay, including almost starving the poor guy. Its as if he doesn't know he can eat it! :? He'll sort of eat hay cakes, so I've got some Timothy hay ones, but even then he only eats one occasionally.

I'm getting to the end of my tether and am very concerned about the effects the GAs are going to have on him. Luckily hes insured and the dentals don't cost a penny, but I'm not happy about him having to keep going in.

Typical timing as well...we were supposed to be going away for the weekend but I don't want to leave my Mum coming to feed him when he may need some special attention.

My Willow has dentals every month or so but he has them without GA. I've a very good vet who will clip the spurrs. I only see her for Willow because he is used to her and doesn't panic as much. This vet was off once and I had to see another vet who wouldn't do it without GA.:? Have you spoken to your vet to see if a dental without GA is a possible?

Hope Billy feels better soon.

What about grass? Some bunnies prefer their hay fresh ;) Although you need to introduce it slowly, if he'll eat it then grass would be just as wearing. You can by Timothy grass seed to :)

Tam

Well Billy doesn't seem to think grass is for eating when hes in the garden. I have bought the simply grass which goes down really well with the other two but not Billy. I'll try him with fresh grass when he comes home...I can pick him up at 5.30! :D

My bunny won't eat grass when he is in the garden as its too exciting running round, but he will eat it at home. Have you tried lots of different hays. My bunnies have to see it come out of the bag about ten times a day fresh and then they will eat it. If its been sat there for a while, they ignore it. Have you tried the hay samples from Hay Expert to see if he likes any of those on offer.

I too have the same problem with one of mine. I have tried all varieties of hay. Have you tried some of the "grow your own" from Hay Experts, mine does like that but not easy to grow this time of year!

Mine (like Suzanne) has conscious dentals approx every 4 weeks and a GA every few months. It is hard to find a vet who will do this but it may be worth ringing round.

Back