• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Beginning of stasis or something else? U/d 10.33am

Becki xX

Warren Veteran
Just been out to tuck Rhia up & something isnt right. Wondered if she was okay last night, don't know why I just did. Brought her in for a few hours though & other than some excess cacetrophs, she was fine. Tonight, first thing I noticed was lack of poo's in her litter tray. Shes fine in herself (although does keep periscoping..) but her tum doesnt feel right. Its like its bloated, but its not rock hard - and shes eating well still. As I said, there arent many poo's in her tray & the ones that are there are quite small. Is it the start of stasis perhaps? Or something else? Cant believe my hard as nails gal is poorly for the second time in two weeks :? X

Last edited:
Oh dear... it could be. The first thing that happens with mine is that the poos slow down and stop, then the tummy feels hard. Really hope she will be OK. x

Keep an eye on her poos. Ours get a little blocked sometimes but don't stop. They do get hard and small though. If she's moving freely that's a good sign, Dougal sat and hunched up when he got a bout of it. Stretching and moving along with some tummy rubs may help to prevent it from progressing if it is.

Keep an eye on her poos. Ours get a little blocked sometimes but don't stop. They do get hard and small though. If she's moving freely that's a good sign, Dougal sat and hunched up when he got a bout of it. Stretching and moving along with some tummy rubs may help to prevent it from progressing if it is.

Thanks for reply, It just doesnt strike me as stasis. She'll usually be hunched in her litter tray with her eyes closed with stasis, not eating etc :? Shes had some tummy rubs anyhow X

When Bunnie's heading for stasis she stops eating as much hay as usual,starts pooing smaller poos and they gradually get smaller and smaller and rock hard which is a sign of the stomach slowing down.

she may be heading for stasis, keep her moving around and make sure drinking and warm!

Sat hunched up , eyes almost closed and not eating or pooing is when they are actually in stasis, usually grinding teeth aswell as in pain!

Hope she's ok :)

Last edited:
Thanks hun, Shes definately moving around lots :thumb: Have given her a snuggly tunnel & snugglesafe. Forgot to say, shes moulting heavily - so could a blockage be the problem? Poor Bee X

Bunnie went into stasis 2 weeks ago and she is moulting heavily, we took her to vet and asked could it be a blockage and he said usually when a rabbit gets a blockage the rabbit is usually found dead or close to it!

As your bun had not eaten all her ceacals or was producing excess the night before she may have eaten something that has upset her tummy.

Thats exactly what happened to Bunnie 2-3 days had messy bum, then started eating less hay so we knew what was coming, vet gave gut stimulant, hay eating over next day basically stopped and poos were getting smaller and some hard then the thursday she was in hunched in litter tray with no poos and wanting no food she was in stasis! got her to vet straight away he gave her painkiller and anti inflammitry and gut stimulant, she started eating and pooing a couple of hours later!

Her tummy was not hard though, maybe your bun has a gassy tummy!

I hope she is ok and doesn't get poorly!

Thanks again :) She doesnt have any excess caecatrophs tonight, only last night. Recon I'm okay to go to sleep? Shes showing no signs of feeling poorly, and doesnt want a cuddle or even to be talked to - shes trying to escape :roll: If I set my alarm for say 3.30am? Thankfully have no plans tomorrow morning (Well, other than the lie in I said goodbye to a few hours ago! :rolleyes:) so can get her to the vets whenever, if needs be :) X

Offer her some water to make sure she taking in fluid as if she does stop drinking and does go into stasis her body will draw the fluid from her tum and she could then get bunged up!

Yeah get up at 3.30 to check on her and offer more water!

Hope she gets better!

Offer her some water to make sure she taking in fluid as if she does stop drinking and does go into stasis her body will draw the fluid from her tum and she could then get bunged up!

Yeah get up at 3.30 to check on her and offer more water!

Hope she gets better!

Hmm did notice her water bowl hadnt gone down - Didnt realise this was really a factor though. Thanks for that :) Think im gonna stay up a little longer...

Edited to say, She has just eaten salad leaves which I'd forgotten about, so at least a bit of water in there!

Is she eating anything Becki? Is she moving about or showing interest in her surroundings?

Is she eating anything Becki? Is she moving about or showing interest in her surroundings?

Shes eating everything I offer her, Moving around fine (trying to get out of her hutch :roll:) & is interested enough in her surroundings. Quite strange :? X

Can you keep her in overnight? Its freezing out there and if she is ill she wont be alble to regulate her temperature.

Also syringe her some warm water if you can, give her some tummy rubs and encourage her to move about.

Get as much hay down her as possible.

Can you keep her in overnight? Its freezing out there and if she is ill she wont be alble to regulate her temperature.

Also syringe her some warm water if you can, give her some tummy rubs and encourage her to move about.

Get as much hay down her as possible.

I can bring her in, does give her a snotty nose though (even if shes in 10 mins & heating is off she gets snotty, soon as shes back out it disappears) - Still do that?

I cant syringe her :( Even when we were loosing her after her spey, she put up a fight to stop me going near her mouth. I know I say this every time shes ill but even the vets cant syringe her, Its not just me being a wuss :oops:

There wasnt as much hay gone as usual when I first went out to her, but she was eating it whilst I was there so thats hopeful :)

Do you think it sounds like stasis Sooz? :?

Try taking her water bottle to her or see if she will lick the water off your fingers!

She could be heading for stasis but hopefully it won't get to that!

I can bring her in, does give her a snotty nose though (even if shes in 10 mins & heating is off she gets snotty, soon as shes back out it disappears) - Still do that?

I cant syringe her :( Even when we were loosing her after her spey, she put up a fight to stop me going near her mouth. I know I say this every time shes ill but even the vets cant syringe her, Its not just me being a wuss :oops:

There wasnt as much hay gone as usual when I first went out to her, but she was eating it whilst I was there so thats hopeful :)

Do you think it sounds like stasis Sooz? :?

She's certainly not in stasis but may be in the lead up which usually occurs over 2-3 days and starts with a decline in dropping numbers and size and consumption levels lowering.

Does she make any reaction to you touching her tummy?

Personally I would still keep her in just to be safe.

Okay shes next to my bed now. Still no more poo's than when I last reported back. Will see how she is with her touching her tum now...

Just keep her moving until those magic droppings appear. Hopefully she will be right as rain in the morning.

When was her last dental check-up?

Back