• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

ear problem? update and more Qs

angie4128

New Kit
I have just got my first rabbit, a 12 week old netherland dwarf house rabbit. we love him to bits but have noticed today that he does not want to lift his right ear. :cry: his left ear is held straight up in the air as normal, but his right ear is hanging down by his side like a lop eared rabbit. he is not tilting his head at all it is just his ear that is affected. he has not really done this before for long periods of time. he can lift it he just does not want to. other than this he seems healthy and happy. does anyone have any ideas on what may have caused this, and what we should do about it? We are going to take him to the vets tomorrow anyway, do you think that this is a serious problem or is it just normal and us over reacting?
thanks
x

Last edited:
I have just got my first rabbit, a 12 week old netherland dwarf house rabbit. we love him to bits but have noticed today that he does not want to lift his right ear. :cry: his left ear is held straight up in the air as normal, but his right ear is hanging down by his side like a lop eared rabbit. he is not tilting his head at all it is just his ear that is affected. he has not really done this before for long periods of time. he can lift it he just does not want to. other than this he seems healthy and happy. does anyone have any ideas on what may have caused this, and what we should do about it? We are going to take him to the vets tomorrow anyway, do you think that this is a serious problem or is it just normal and us over reacting?
thanks
x

He he could it not just be that he may have some sort of lop in him somewhere along the line??

I have a one ear up one down bun...they were both up and down sometimes when he was a baby....now they have firmly settled on just one up. very occassionally he will lift the other up but not very often. One of my other buns is an uppy eared rabbit and sometimes she keeps one flat to her head. It looks funny and she is just being lazy! If your bunny is shaking his head, repeatedly itching his ears or has a tilt I would be concerned, but to be honest it doesn't sound like there is anything actually wrong with him :)

he does keep scratching he ear that is hanging down

If he is scratching at the ear it may indicate that he has Ear Mites. Your Vet can check this for you and if your Bun has not already had his vaccinations ( Myxomatosis and VHD) it would be a good opportunity to get these done too :) The Myxo is usually given first and the VHD given 14 days later

Janex

have taken dylon to the vets for his vaccine and to get his ear checked out. vet said there is nothing wrong, he is just a wierdo who wants to be a bit lop eared did not really know that they could be like that, and on top of that "he" is not a "he" he's a "she". well we were both a little disappointed as we had really wanted a boy but we love her now so we will still be keeping her. we were even more disappointed when we found out that it would have cost us £50 to get a male nutered, and it will cost us £87 to get our femle speyed, :censored: so we have got a little more saving up to do than we had thought. whilst we were there we met a family ho were taking their rabbit they had had a week also from pets at home that had an eye infection. if we ever want to buy any more small animals in the future i won't be going to pets at home.:censored: :censored: :censored:

took dylon to the vets and his ear is apparently fine he just wants to hold it down, he had his first vaccine and we were also informed that dylon is a she not a he. :shock: we are both a bit disappointed as we had specifically asked for a male rabbit and were informed that dylon was a male. :censored: we have had a look ourselves and she looks like a girl to us too. we were even more annoyed when we discovered that it would have cost us £50 to get him nutered but it is now going to cost £87 to get her nutered. we could probably take her back and get her exchanged for a male, but we have had her a week now and have fallen totally in love with her, she has trusted us and bonded with us and when we bought her we took on a responsibility to love and look after her so we will. we have just got to do a bit of serious saving up to do now so that we can get her speyed. we think she is 12 weeks, but is there any ways that we or the vet can tell (we are taking her back in 2 weeks for her other vaccine and to discuss speying, but we are getting it done anyway) also what age does she ideally need to be speyed at, so we know how quickly we need to be saving up!:shock:

took dylon to the vets and his ear is apparently fine he just wants to hold it down, he had his first vaccine and we were also informed that dylon is a she not a he. :shock: we are both a bit disappointed as we had specifically asked for a male rabbit and were informed that dylon was a male. :censored: we have had a look ourselves and she looks like a girl to us too. we were even more annoyed when we discovered that it would have cost us £50 to get him nutered but it is now going to cost £87 to get her nutered. we could probably take her back and get her exchanged for a male, but we have had her a week now and have fallen totally in love with her, she has trusted us and bonded with us and when we bought her we took on a responsibility to love and look after her so we will. we have just got to do a bit of serious saving up to do now so that we can get her speyed. we think she is 12 weeks, but is there any ways that we or the vet can tell (we are taking her back in 2 weeks for her other vaccine and to discuss speying, but we are getting it done anyway) also what age does she ideally need to be speyed at, so we know how quickly we need to be saving up!:shock:

I'm afraid P@H are notorious for mis sexing bunnies :? maybe try a rescue centre next time? Was there a particular reason that you specifically wanted a male?
It always costs more to get the females done as there is a lot more to the op however you could try ringing some different vets as i know they vary in price as i was quoted over £100 by one but in the end i paid £65.
Females are usually done around 6 months i believe i had Lolly done at 5 1/2 months as she was really hormonal.
Hope that helps!

have taken dylon to the vets for his vaccine and to get his ear checked out. vet said there is nothing wrong, he is just a wierdo who wants to be a bit lop eared did not really know that they could be like that, and on top of that "he" is not a "he" he's a "she". well we were both a little disappointed as we had really wanted a boy but we love her now so we will still be keeping her. we were even more disappointed when we found out that it would have cost us £50 to get a male nutered, and it will cost us £87 to get our femle speyed, :censored: so we have got a little more saving up to do than we had thought. whilst we were there we met a family ho were taking their rabbit they had had a week also from pets at home that had an eye infection. if we ever want to buy any more small animals in the future i won't be going to pets at home.:censored: :censored: :censored:

I have seen quite a few bunnies with one uppy ear and one down ear she is definately not a wierdo!

Back