• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Weird hay habits

Grace and Louis

Warren Scout
Grace and Louis have been bought up with their hay in a hay manger but now they REFUSE to eat hay unless it is on the floor! -- I dread to think how much hay is being wasted here at the moment because the little monkeys will eat a new lump I give them and then decide they have had all the best bits and so they wont eat anymore until I put more on the floor.

I tried being tough with them and only giving them food from their rack but they would rather starve :?

Does anyone else have similar issues?

not quite the same thing but i've worked out that bun HATES having hay in his toilet. i thought he was being hormonal by weeing outside of his toilet but i noticed that when i first clean his toilet, he's fine then once hay gets in it from his hay ball he goes toilet elsewhere. what a fussy boy!

now it's hay on one side of the tray and toilet on the other. thing is, now he never poos in the tray because he does it when he's eating hay! :lol::lol:

Nala is very very particular about her hay. I put it in the hay manger but all she does it push it out of the bottom of the manger. If I put it on the floor she only eats the good bits and leaves the rest to waste. I have on occasion put it in her litter tray and she made it very clear that was not acceptable and spent the next 10 minutes pulling all of the hay out of the tray.

I have since changed her hay though and she is less picky (so far!)

Mine won't eat from anywhere other than the litter tray and i end up wasting a ton of it!
I also brought some of the expensive burns oat hay and they have turned their noses up at it! Won't eat it at all and have thrown it all over the floor

Molly hates having hay in the litter tray. He doesn't like to eat it if it's not in the hay rack. Although recently he will eat it if it's in his carboard box fort. Faline's not fussy, she'll eat anything anywhere. The group are all lovely good hay eaters .

My buns need lots of encouragement to eat hay, they have to have it all fluffy on the floor!!!! so picky! the babies are much better at eating hay than any of the adults. I guess i'm used to pigs who eat every last scrap of hay where ever i put it!! xx

I have real difficulty getting Nigel to eat it. :( He will chew on bits but then get bored. If I put it in his jingly wire ball he will, or in a box, but then he pulls it all over the floor and poos on it. The only other way is to stuff toilet roll tubes with it, but it means he eats the tube too..... I don't know what else to do really.

The others eat it fine (apart from when Doris goes into mega nesting mode and piles it all up and won't let Dougal eat any :lol:) but not Nigel for some reason. We've never *touch wood* had a single gut problem from him though, it seems to be Dougal with the dodgy tummy and the tendency to bung up....

my bunnies are very fussy about their hay and i used to end up wasting so much of it....but i have outsmarted them!
Like others have said in this post, they tend to eat the best bits and turn their noses up at the rest, leaving loads! So, i just trick them by 'fluffing up' the remaining hay and putting a little bit of fresh hay in with it, so they eat as much as i can get them to. It works a treat!

Back