• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lop Rabbits

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
I used to hear from my vet, at uni and even some pet shops that lop rabbits are prone to more health problems (like malocclusion, respiration etc) than straight eared buns. But I've noticed a lot of you have lops so I wondered if those of you experienced in lops could tell me it if is a myth or not.

All 4 buns that I have had have been lops and I have never had a problem. Though that could be more down to luck than anything else.

I believe it to be true in particular with relation to dental problems. Myself and my friends with lops have experienced more problems with dentals than with any of the uppy eared buns. In fact, while I think about it, it has been all of my lops that have been to the vets for special treatment since I have cared for them (except on case of stasis in my dutchie cross).

This may be because of all of my bunnies having been from rescues of course but who knows.

I know that my very bunny savvy vet believes this to be the case.

It wouldn't put me off having more lops though thats for sure.

It's more related to the shape of their faces than their ears. Lops tend to have shorter jaws and flatter noses where as up-eared rabbit generally have a more natural rabbit head shape. The teeth problems occur when the teeth don't wear evenly and the abnormal head/jaw shape contributes to that. Netherlands are another breeds that's more prone to teeth problem - again because of their flatter faces.

That's not to say all lops have problems and all up-ears are fine. A lots to do with breeding. Pet shop bunnies are often breed to look cute and mass produced so there is less care taken over making sure the family history is free from teeth problems.

Tamsin

I've heard that about lops too, but TBH I'm not sure if it's true :?

A cross between an up-ear bun and a lop can apparently cause slight skull deformities, and therefore teeth problems.

The worst malloclusion I've seen has been in dutch crosses.

I'd have to say that my short faced lops do seem to suffer more eye trouble than my other rabbits...perhaps because the short face causes the teeth to press on the tear ducts?

Malloclusion is genetic and not necessarily linked to the rabbit's breed. But seeing as lop-rabbits are very popular "low quality" animals tend to be used in breeding simply to get more of them, spreading bad genes as well as good ones. :cry:

No *touch wood* I have been lucky with all my buns (I have 2 Nethies and one Mini lop) I notice my lop is lazier but not got worse health... Is also greedier... (He runs in circles when food arrives when Billy sits and watches all Lucy can manage is a head bob :lol:) Sorry am yarning on... Tut tut it was that wine!!

I think they do, 4 of my 5 lops have had dental problems, 2 also suffer with pasteurella, 1 with UTI's and one lost an eye to a retrobulbar abcess.

Bunnies a nearly 3 year old Mini lop and 2 weeks ago the vet said her teeth are perfect, she's not a great hay eater which is why we give her Oxbow Timothy hay!:)

Thank's guys. I've never had a lop so haven't got a clue obviously. I did wonder if the shape of the face affected the health but I supppose it depends on the rabbit's genes as you say. :censored: Bad breeders.

not yet, but alvin is only 10 months old....i read they are more likely to get ear mites too cus of how the ears are nice and snug for bugs :evil:

i hope alvin dosent have too many bad genes floating about in him :shock:

I had a deaf lop once. He was super friendly and nothing noisy ever bothered him, and fireworks week he didn't bat an eyelid. (Not like my buns now who hate them.)
I did make him jump though sometimes if he didn't see me coming.
I think deafness is more of a prob in lops than uppy eared buns.

I hate to say this, but I think that badly bred Netherland Dwarfs tend to have problems too :( I've had a couple of pet Netherland Dwarfs in the past, and they had problems with their teeth :( I have to say, they where not bought from people who showed their rabbits, just someone who bred them for sale :( I was only young when I had them, but they where lovely rabbits.

i have spoken tp my sister who has both lops and none lops and she says she has heard that too but has not noticed any differance in the health of her rabbits

I hate to say this, but I think that badly bred Netherland Dwarfs tend to have problems too :( I've had a couple of pet Netherland Dwarfs in the past, and they had problems with their teeth :( I have to say, they where not bought from people who showed their rabbits, just someone who bred them for sale :( I was only young when I had them, but they where lovely rabbits.

Nethies are the only breed that seem to have inherant primary maloclausion of the incisors. Other breeds seem to develop Incisoral maloclausion secondary to molar issues.

Both of our bridge buns were lops and suffered with endless serious health problems, but then they did come from horrendous conditions:( Weve only ever had a big problem with one of our up-eared buns, but theyve been in our care since they were babies

Back