• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

new arrival

Luciuslop

Alpha Buck
Today we went to see a bun that was being advertised as ' free to good home ' . I spoke to the lady by phone and she said ...... ' we're getting rid of her because she doesn't like my other rabbits ' :evil::evil: Her words exactly. She changed her story slightly during the next phone call and when we got there today the story had changed again :rolleyes:. She has a dwarf lop buck outside and a 12 week old baby dwarf lop doe inside and she informed me that she wants to breed them :evil::evil::(:(

Anyways, the doe we had come for was apparantly living with someone else first who kept her in a tiny hutch and never let her out and fed her **** food. So this couple take her in and now they want rid of her. I asked both of them if they really wanted to part with her and suggested spaying and neutering as solutions to the hormonal issues ( as well as the health benefits ). They just looked uncomfortable and couldn't wait to get her out the door. They didn't ask one single question about how I was going to be caring for her and what experience did I have of buns. They wanted her gone :(

It does sound as if they had her first and the other 2 afterwards and now they've decided to breed, so the rabbit has to go. That was my impression anyway. She was in a 3 ft hutch which had straw but no hay and a bowl of Wagg rabbit food :( Her nails were so long she could've grown carrots underneath then and she is extremely overweight :(:(:( I got her home and sat on kitchen floor with her to give her a more indepth check over. She sat very patiently whilst I clipped her nails, cleaned around her genital area, looked in her ears and checked her teeth. After all that pulling around she still sat next to me for a cuddle :love: She's going to vet next week for vaccinating and once she has lost a few pounds she can be spayed.

Awww well done for rescuing her. The woman you got her from is an idiot obviously. Why breed from rabbbits when there are too many and she obviously cannot look after them properly.

Can you post a picture of the new girl? Oh and any ideas on what you are going to call her?

Well done for taking her away from that :censored: situation! Shame for the other buns and sucks if they are going to breed!

Any photos yet of the new girl?

Well done you for getting this wee bunny.

Bet you felt like smacking the people round the chops didn't you..... I think I would!

Well done you for getting this wee bunny.

Bet you felt like smacking the people round the chops didn't you..... I think I would!

I did indeed :lol: Funnily enough I get that a lot with people :oops::lol: But then they wouldn't have handed over the bunny. It was obvious that they have no intention of vaccinating the other 2 or getting them spayed/neutered. :(

Anyway, here she is ... not very good pics .. will try and get better ones later. She is so overweight she has rolls of fat over the tops of her legs :(
She is very beautiful I think :love::love: The woman said she was a Giant :lol::lol::lol: Well, compared to a dwarf lop she is :rolleyes:

nbun1.jpg

nbun2.jpg

Last edited:
Don't suppose it would do much good, but if the others are in equally poor, inadequate conditions, you could try speaking with the RSPCA.

Don't suppose it would do much good, but if the others are in equally poor, inadequate conditions, you could try speaking with the RSPCA.

The baby was in an indoor cage and the buck was in a 3ft outside hutch. I have to say that all the hutches/ cages were spotless - but that may have been because she was expecting me and was so anxious to get shot of bunny. All had water, food and bedding, so I doubt the RSPCA will do anything. The problem I think is ignorance and single mindedness over wanting to breed. Without seeming vindictive it was clear neither of them knew very much about rabbits and I am forced to wonder if the breeding idea is a money making venture.

Well that hutch size is well under what the RSPCA recommend, so it might be worth a call. The idea of them breeding in that little space is kind of scary. One of the 5 freedoms in the new animal welfare act is the freedom "to exhibit normal behaviour patterns", which a 3 foot house definitely doesn't allow for.

Back