• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets at Home today

IzzyTwig

Alpha Buck
Popped into Pets at Home today and boy was it busy, everyone cooing over the bunnies, the staff were a bit overwhelmed. Though I was impressed by their attitude twards people wanting to buy easter bunnies.

One lady wanted to buy one of the french lops ("giant house rabbits") and was complaining because the nero 3 was out of stock. The staff were desperately trying to tell her it was far too small, even the nero 4 was too small, but she wasn't having any of it because there wasn't room in her house for a big cage.

Another woman wanted to buy 2 piggies and wanted a hamster cage for them, her reason being that it can't be too small as two guinnea pigs would easily fit.
Some people just dont seem to understand animals need room, two people can fit into a wardrobe, but they wouldn't want to live in there would they.

But the staff were doing their best to advise and refusing to let animals go to inadequate homes. Which was great to see.

Also I noticed P@H have a magazine now, apparently they're soon getting a bunny boutique! Exciting stuff for pamperred bunnies!

two people can fit into a wardrobe, but they wouldn't want to live in there would they.

:lol: :lol: :lol: That just cracked me up!

So true... I will be using that analogy in the future.

Good to hear the staff weren't just selling the animals willy-nilly :roll: :)

Another woman wanted to buy 2 piggies and wanted a hamster cage for them, her reason being that it can't be too small as two guinnea pigs would easily fit.

whaaaaaaat?? that actually just made my jaw drop open! ridiculous!

whaaaaaaat?? that actually just made my jaw drop open! ridiculous!

In her defence it was a big hamster cage (not a rotastack tubey thing), but still miles too small for even one pig let alone a pair of piggies.

Last edited:
pets at home today!

Yeh i think they are improving at P & H:)i was in there yesterday and looking at the bird cages as was thinking of getting a cockatiel:)the guy who was showing them to me said that the ones they had were not big enough and only really suitable for budgies:cry:
I have decided not to get the bird now as i really wanted some chickens but cant have them because of the sodding foxes round here:evil:

In her defence it was a big hamster cage (not a rotastack tubey thing), but still miles too small for even one pig let alone a pair of piggies.

i think i have one of the bigger cages from p@h - it's 24"x14"x16" high, that sort of size one? with 2 shelves and a curved top.

god knows how anyone could think of keeping a piggy in such a small cage.

Hoorah for PAH! I'm so glad they are advising people properly.
People who don't want the best for the animal such as the biggest home possible, really shouldn't get pets.

when we bought stella we said we was getting her a pal and the bloke was very adamant that the cage would not take two.. we said we was going to build our own and was going to keep the tiny cage as an emergancy cage...

i was impressed and that was almost 2 years ago.....

what impressed me even more was when bud had to go to the vets ste took him and was quizzed by the vet about accomodation size

there really is no excuses for people putting animals in homes that are too small the internet is a wonderful place to do research :evil::evil::evil:

I had to nip in today for some vetbed and the staff told me they could and had refused to sell animals to people they thought were unsuitable :D

I was surprised when I went to the P@H I sometimes visit, last weekend... The only rabbits they had in there were giant pink fluffy ones... of the toy variety. :shock: They seemed to be doing some sort of renovation of the animal part, as all the cages had gone... and all the animals. You'd have thought, with Easter approaching, they might have wanted to put this off until after people had bought bunnies... but nope. ^^

The pet shop I used to work at didn't even sell any cages that were suitable for a nethie:roll: Reason? That's what people wanted..
I considered buying such a cage when I got Zakura...thinking it would be okay if I let her out often, but by the time I got to the pet shop to buy it (another one than the one I worked at last, only pet shop I really LIKE) and I wasn't allowed to buy that cage... When I told them the rabbit I was getting was half lop dwarf they assured me lop dwarves could get really big (and they didn't really have to tell me...Zakura's mother was huge..) and I came home with the store's biggest cage. :D
And a couple of years later I just wanted bigger:lol: Now Sasuke lives in a permanent run:roll: Which wasn't even bought at a pet shop, in fact it wasn't made for animals at all, its for garden compost, but the buns don't complain, neither does my wallet:lol:

Also I noticed P@H have a magazine now, apparently they're soon getting a bunny boutique! Exciting stuff for pamperred bunnies!

Ooo htat sounds exciting what kind of stuff will they be doing?

I went into my local one today.... total rubbish didn't have anything i went in there for but on a good note there was only 2 bunnys in each cage - thats the least i have ever seen!

i think i have one of the bigger cages from p@h - it's 24"x14"x16" high, that sort of size one? with 2 shelves and a curved top.

god knows how anyone could think of keeping a piggy in such a small cage.

Ah.....you'd be amazed at what people think is adequate housing for some of the animals.

We had Polish people wanting to buy a chinchilla and keep it in a cat carrier.

We get people walk up with a small hamster cage and ask for 2 rats.

I've had someone walk up with a Rody hamster cage and ask for a guinea pig.

I have so much fun when that happens ~~~evil smile~~~

Back