• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby bunnys...

Rachyy

New Kit
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum and will be getting to baby mini lops. Was just wondering when they should leave there mum because the man thats giving them me says they're 5weeks old and ready to go. Is this right? If i don't take them he's just going to get rid of them he never said how but was hitting towards just throwing them out. Whether it was a joke i don't know.
Thanks
Rach x

Well yeh. I said i'd have them when they are ready e.g in another 3weeks but he wants them gone now! he says they're eating by themselves so they're ready. i know they'll have to b kept warmer then normal etc. Am just stuck at what to do i don't want to leave them with him obv but also they shouldn't be away from there mum!

if hes going to "get rid" then you taking them would be better than leaving them there ...BUT ... are you sure he would harm them ...see if you can get him to hang on at lest another week . They will be eating on their own at that age but they will still be having mums milk .

we have some babies here who are 8 weeks tomorrow and ive seen them feeding from mum yesterday .

if you do take them make sure he gives you some of their food they are used to and dont change their diet at all for the first 4 or 5 weeks .
lots of hay and no veg .
at that age their tummies will be prone to getting upset . might also be worth putting avipro in their water .

Ok thanks. He has already got rid of the 4 others so he wants these gone. He asked me to take them last week but i said No. because i knew they were too young. i thoght it would be them as other animals like 8weeks. Our dog was taken from his mum at 4weeks and he'shad a bad stomache ever since and he's 3 now from a rescue.

Personally I'd refuse to take them any earlier than 8 weeks and if he won't oblige then look elsewhere as you may end up with sickly bunnies and no doubt behavioural problems given his attitude towards them they may not have been handled much.

I didn't think bunnies were supose to leave their mums until 10 weeks because of the risk of Mucoid enteropathy ???

I adopted a doe about 6 years ago and the rescue didn't know she was pregnant. We got a huge shock finding the five kits. Their mum passed died of VHD when they were 6 weeks old. A week later the largest boy passed away (we think he was a boy anyway). We kept the other 4 babies. Last summer one of them died of GI Stasis. The other thre are still with us but suffer stasis occasionally. The runt of that litter, Ebonnie was paralysed when she was about 2 months old. She was perscribed with anti biotics and I taught her to walk again. Shes fit and healthy now except she does huge big poos and suffers constipation every 2 weeks or so. The point is these babies lost thier mother too young and have suffered not only the loss but also their health is not as good as it should be. If you do adopt these very young kittens you should feed them Cimi Cat a powdered milk substitue which you can get from a vet and he may also perscribe Critical Care Formula.

i know someone who adoptewd a baby bun at 5 weeks and the poor thing died at 6 weeks and the vet said it was because the baby bun hadnt got all the nutrients needed from mum or something so his iumme system wasnt strong enough. :( xxx

Back