• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can you bath a bunny?

i know some people do. i gave him a proper bath a couple of weeks after i got him and now he has a little foot wash every month or so. make sure you don't get water in their ears, i've heard it's not good for them.

It's certainly not advisable unless your bunny is REALLY dirty. Some rabbits will panic and thrash about in water, and could injure themselves.

If your bunny has a dirty bottom, you can use baby wipes to clean him up a little, or just dip his bottom in a small amount of water.

If you bunny smells, but isn't actually dirty, the smell will be coming from his scent glands, and bathing won't help....but neutering will

Amy

Not advisable, they hate it and it shouldnt be necessary. They are clean animals and shouldn't ever be dirty enough to need a full bath - just their bottom or feet. :)

I had to bath my childhood bun a few times but that was with a medicated shampoo when he got mites. Poor little thing - he didn't like the bath at all, and he looked so scrawny when he was all wet (but with a fluffy head and ears still). I did discover that he quite enjoyed sitting on my lap near the fan heater while he dried out & that his fur went all wavy!:lol:

So no - don't bath except on vet's advice, not least because your bun may never forgive you.....

The only thing I've ever had to clean on my rabbits was Zakura's ears...
Though I didn't use much water, a tiny drop on a piece of paper only. It was because Sasuke had started spraying on her and since he had been eating a lot of greens (dandelion, clover and grass mostly) his urine got red, and Zakura didn't look pretty with red stains in her fur...she managed to clean out the most herself, but couldn't get to the inside of her ears. So I helped her out a bit.

Anther time I had to wash a rabbits bottom because it got diarrhea, but to be frank I prefer cutting of the dirty fur:lol: That is, unless its very cold where they life of course.:roll:

Ive had to wash mine in the past and usually find the shower better mine have had a couple of washes, i had to wash them after they came out of boarding becasue saff had sprayed everywhere all over herself and joey and they stunk! They are housebuns so i pop them in the shower with the door open and have the shower head on a gentle setting so they are not in any depth of water and if they really panicked could get out without hurting themselves, saff stands there just fine, she doesnt mind at all. Again depends on your bunny.

Rabbits are extremely clean animals that are constantly grooming themselves. You should not bathe a rabbit unless it is absolutely necessary; for instance if they are sick and unable to clean themselves.

I've had to wash Nigel several times when he was younger. He went through a stage of peeing on his bum fur and sitting in the litter tray, also standing on his caecals rather than eating them so he stank.

I put him in the empty bath for a few minutes to get used to it, then put a warm shower spray on him (about baby bath temp) then when he was wet I turned the shower off and lathered him up. I kept him restrained with one hand on his shoulder blades so he couldn't thrash or hurt himself, then I rinsed him well.
The good thing about the shower spray is that it's hand held and directional so you can get specific bits and avoid their ears and face.
Afterward I swaddled him up in a big towel to restrain him and get most of the water out, then let him dry the rest himself. :)

I've not had to since though, and never had to do the others.

Back