• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flea and mite treatment reaction

pokadotbunny

Young Bun
I have just treated Nala with Xenex Ultra Spot On on her shoulder blades and she won't stop scratching at her shoulders. I am worried she is going to make her skin sore. Should I be concerned? Can I do anything to stop her from scratching it?

I'd advise you to wash as much of it off as possible. Xenex Ultra is well known for causing reactions like this :(

Also tell your vet about the problem, and inform the manufacturer.

Good luck and hope your bun feels better soon

yes I agree, it makes me so angry that they are still licensing this problem. The company have already admitted that they know that many rabbits are having adverse reactionst to it, some even dying. Please keep a close eye on your rabbits eating habits too.

I had no idea. I didn't think to ask but he didn't mention it. I am a mix of worry and total anger that my vet didn't mention any risks. As it is a Bank Holiday, I don't think I will get hold of the vets.

Your vet is obliged to provide emergency/out of hours care, so if you ring the normal number you should either be able to speak to someone, or else there will be an alternate number on the answer phone that you can call for advice.

Ok, I will give it a try now. She seems to be eating fine still, she stole some carrot and has tucked into some hay. Are there any more symptoms I should be aware of?

Ok, I will give it a try now. She seems to be eating fine still, she stole some carrot and has tucked into some hay. Are there any more symptoms I should be aware of?

Hi,

keep an eye out for lethargy, refusing food, any signs of pain and fitting. It's rare but it has happened. I'm sure your bunny is fine though becasue I would have expected her to have had that reaction by now if it was going to happen. Most rabbits just develop the skin irritation...almost like chemical burns. You would be doing your vet a favour by letting him know what has happend and asking him to contact the manufacturer. I don't think it is widely known of it's dangers.

I have been keeping an eye on her and she has scoffed her dinner and is drinking as normal. I have just checked the skin and it is slightly pinker than normal but that might just be from the scratching and because I'm no used to seeing her skin.

She is having a hop around and a lick of the hoover and showing it who is boss :roll: so fingers crossed she is ok. I will ring the vet back on Tuesday to see if there is any other treatment I can try for her and let them know of the reaction.

Thank you all for your help

xxHxx

I have been keeping an eye on her and she has scoffed her dinner and is drinking as normal. I have just checked the skin and it is slightly pinker than normal but that might just be from the scratching and because I'm no used to seeing her skin.

She is having a hop around and a lick of the hoover and showing it who is boss :roll: so fingers crossed she is ok. I will ring the vet back on Tuesday to see if there is any other treatment I can try for her and let them know of the reaction.

Thank you all for your help

xxHxx

he he she sounds funny!! Was it for mites? you can use straightforward ivermectin that the vet can prescribe in a bottle to use as drops, or she can have a course of three ivermectin injections.

I'd advise you to wash as much of it off as possible. Xenex Ultra is well known for causing reactions like this :(

Also tell your vet about the problem, and inform the manufacturer.

Good luck and hope your bun feels better soon

If she informs the vet, they have to contact the manufacturer. There is official documentation to fill in.

he he she sounds funny!! Was it for mites? you can use straightforward ivermectin that the vet can prescribe in a bottle to use as drops, or she can have a course of three ivermectin injections.

It was for mites and fleas, Kris and I keep getting bitten (bit dim, but can mites bite?? :? ). She also occassionally had a good scratch at one of her ears so he said the treatment should clear it up.

Back