• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

indoor wooden hutch?

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
hya ive tried every thing..pens..free roam..various dog crates...indoor cages...
now im having to re asses our living spaces..the frenchies own the lounge at the other end..free roaming with a scooby doo tent for a base plus litter trays food n water n toys nearby.

bif and bandit are to be rebonded and live together..after a long chat with the exotics vet...they are both nervous and need security esp bif as her n willow hate each others guts now....i have to seperate the lounge as best i can from the moo!

I saw in a post onhere from some while back by drpengie and theres a lovely hutch with vinyl flooring..i would so love that for my two littlies with the exercise pen i am going to order.....

BUT Bif bles her has a nervous digestive problem...soft poo probs....bandit bless him is having a nevous bladder sessio..getting better tho daily...would it be hard to clean....i know hutches are hard to clean and dry but if it has a vinyl floor is it easier or do they still manage to do things up the walls or is that just my rabbits?!!

i have seen a lovely exercise run made of wood and wire with a few doors one at back andfront as well as the top opening one...considered using this with some type of nest box..not cardboard..cos of nervy bum n bladders!!

then i aslo considered this inside a run...

http://www.shakhouse.com/index.php?...c4b2ed39c03150f9ca&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=

not perfect but easy to clean id imagine..and with door open 24/7 leading to this

http://www.premierpetsonline.com/ShowDetails.asp?id=5280

or one of these leading to pen..im not sure but i think years ago we ordered one ofr woozle the furry termite..another bridge bun of ours..and it wouldnt fit on one panel and it would have gone in seconds the plywood bits..bandit and bif arent chewers tho....

http://www.feedem.co.uk/small-anima...s-206/pennine-welcome-plastic-rabbit-1387.htm

you may say hey its too small but rember theyll have a run attached 24/7 and also have run around when supervised....i have trouble with bif right now..she wont leave her cage and when we drag her out she goes to pieces and is only happy in it...its very upsetting as its a rabbit ranch and its not even 100cm long..its 97cm....its wide enough and high enough to have a run attached but shes not the brightest using a ramp! bandit tends to fall off them..hes a bit nervy and daft as a brush but can manage with everything else even jumping up onto the furniture.

or maybe a set up like this?
http://www.dabners.co.uk/product-4763-trixie-enclosure-with-covering-galvanized.html

we have a non slip lino floor in our lounge....im using our 8 panel pen that fixes togehter with stakes..you know the one? has a green cover for outsdie net one side cover the other? but wilow can clear it when shes desperate altho hurting her foot has slowed her down a little! i wouldnt fgeel 100% secure letting bif n bandit living in it alone..and badnit and bif do panic as it makes it feel very open....even with a box in it..guess theyre used to bars and always will be to make then feel safe n secure:( not what i do with my babies..but after 2 years nearly i see Bif is a very scared girl and free roaming or too open isnt her thing or bandits...bif was mistreated bandit was not but both being rescues retain their insecurities i guess..good job bandit loves human affection and atention andthe cats too...he adores them..and vice versa...bif has her monets but mainly is terrified of humans and hates them too.....but when she feels like affection it may be slight but its a wonderful privilege.

dog crates didnt work out..i cant build a second level and they scrathed the floor rotten and the height was wasted.

any ideas please?

I got Tia a hutch with vinyl floor - it was tiny though, basically a strip of floor next to a hole for the ladder to the run - and what I hadn't realised was rabbits hate walking on slippy flooring - she wouldn't walk on it! She would just kind of pluck up courage then scramble desperately to get to her bedroom litter tray - she never got used to it.

In your situation I think I'd join 2 dog crates end to end (just tie up one of the end panels on each crate with heavy duty garden wire or cable ties), and have a covered cat loo or 2 in there :)

:wave: thanks for that..i have a lino floor in the lounge and old council marley tiles in my kitchen....all the buns dont care and grip very niceley..bang goes my past theory from past buns that buns dont cant use slippery surfaces:lol::lol:

noo no more dog crates..they are a waste of space if you dont have an extra storey and our lino is wrecked from our old ones...but bandit is using the argos large dog one..( i wouldnt cal it thAT!)

I will sort it one way or the other i guess..dont need to panic till lounge can be sorted which i have the spare room to do in oredr to take pc and desk upstairs in there....then move furniture etc..what we do for our furbabies!!:lol:

I would skip a hutch and go for a pen with a box to hide in - you can get posh wooden ones. If you go for a hutch, pick what you like size/design wise and just use vinyl floor tiles to help with cleaning.

Tam

Tinkerbell has a Pets at Home hutch with a plastic kind of floor which is very easy to keep clean.

thank you rachel looks good ..mine will have blankets tho and litter trays..not spoilt!!:oops:

tamsin that was our first thought but i am worried about willow..i would have to have a closed in pen..do you think this would be ok as an overnight/unsuervised pen with house box attached? is it too short i cant convert inches to cm..doh!!

http://www.dabners.co.uk/product-4763-trixie-enclosure-with-covering-galvanized.html

or this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LARGE-COLLAPS...hZ025QQcategoryZ63513QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

yeah ive seen some online that have plastic painted floors or easy clean black flors....until pah do home delivery im out lol!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rabbit-guinea...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

i could make em drapes..paint it...give em window boxes and decorate it with fairy lights for mood lighting..then attach the run...and for exercise leave a run door open......:lol:

its going to have to go on hold....the housing assoc will be putting in a new kitchen in next few weeks..my houses a tip and i got to get kitchen spotless by april2nd..and clear out the soare room by then to put buns and cats in with access to all upstairs..whilst its been done.....i could cry..the kitchens way overdue but i dont know if ill be able to.....super depressive months and months epileptic attacks and unknown cause for lethargy total exhaustion..etc stress burnout root cause.....i am a mess my hpouse is a mess the buns live the cleanest....i look like the how cleanis your house guests and its not due to bunnies..its due to moving almsot 5 years ago and being too downtrodden etc to unpack..clear out and organise..

arrghhhhhhhhhh i am but one bunny mummy...methinks i need a bloomin magic wand!:shock:

Last edited:
Back