• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cage dimensions

Dannikins

New Kit
Would a 4ft by jus over 2ft indoor rabbit cage be suitable for 2 lionhead rabbits? I have read that lionhead rabbits are acually quite small. I found it hard to find a straight answer for the web so thought i'd post on here!

Any comments appreciated!

Dannikins xxx:wave:

Might be just ok for one obviously with access to an exercise area daily. But i would have thought too small for 2 rabbits!

2 lionhead rabbits in a 4 x 2 foot cage would be far too small for them particuarly if they were to spend a lot of the day shut in. If they were using it as a base without the door being shut apart from an odd hour every now and again then this may just about be acceptable. You would be better to get a dog crate which is 48 inches long and put a shelf into it, there are a few other ideas on our website http://www.animalrescueandcare.org.uk/animals.asp?i=1569

I would say that is definitely too small. Pet shop rabbit cages are not good, either a dog crate or a Cube Cage is your best option, personally I prefer Cube Cages (that's mine in the ARC link ;))

If you haven't got a lot of floor space you can go up with cubes, 2 or 3 levels are great for bunnies, especially lionheads as they are smaller, and if they are anything like my Maddie they will love to climb. :shock::lol:
A minimum size I'd say would be 2x3 grids base, with at least 2 high. :)

I think a cage like that with a large run which is attached 24/7 for constant access would not be too bad. Obviously the bigger the better.

I have a Ferplast 140cm (4.6ft) cage with a permanent run made from NIC panels (which are available at B&Q - I think they call them Selmka storage cubes). They are confined to this during the day and from 6-11.30pm they have full run of the room:

2348728572_4335e55688.jpg

2347899483_5200dd095a.jpg

Hope this has helped in someway :)

I think that size would work well. Most breeders use cages that are 2' x2' for each lion so I think a cage that is twice as big would work fine for twice the rabbits. Especially if you plan on letting them out to exercis every day.
Your right about their size. Lionheads commonly only get to be 3lbs. Mine is just over 4lbs and she is way bigger than any other lion I have seen.

I think that size would work well. Most breeders use cages that are 2' x2' for each lion so I think a cage that is twice as big would work fine for twice the rabbits. Especially if you plan on letting them out to exercis every day.
Your right about their size. Lionheads commonly only get to be 3lbs. Mine is just over 4lbs and she is way bigger than any other lion I have seen.

Unfortunately just because breeders do something doesn't make it adequate :?

I don't think it will be sufficient room on it's own. I think you definitely need to look at having a run attachment :)

Alvin and pearl have a 42" dog crate with run attached and i still feel guilty then i lock them up.....when you see them run around all crazy and binkying you will understand why bigger is most definately better :)

thier cage
P1010001-2.jpg

Thanks for all of your comments and advice. We have found a cgae that is a bit bigger and am looking into attaching a run! We will obvisouly let them out daily!

Back