• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hmmm...a lop or half of one???

Teepee

Mama Doe
:wave:

Now I am no rabbit breeder and as such know nothing about breeds but I STRONGLY suspect that "Daddy bunny" to my baby buns (who I have never seen - lady fostered him out on discovering her "two girls" were not as they seemed as she didn't want to add more babies to her "already too many" situation) was no lop...She's a lovely lady but (bless her) has less clue than me when it comes to breeds as she described the parents as "a little brown with bits one" and a "little white one" when I asked prior to viewing Mum and babies.

Mum was certainly a dwarf lop but Dad...who knows?? I am thinking something small with rounded "sticky up" ears (at a guess a Netherland dwarf or similar) but see the pic. under my name? See how little Clover's ears all stick up as her sister's (? boy/girl to be confirmed) lop? They stay "stuck up" ALWAYS - not "lopped" once all week!:shock:

My question please (and again, forgive me on my stupidity with breeds): Do SOME lops have ears that lop only when bigger or is my little Clover more "Dad something else" than Mum lop?:? To add: Clover's ears look shorter than Sage's to me and Sage's lop all the while...:?:

TP - :? some more!!

ETA: In the pic. the flash went off and I think it scared them (hence only one pic. of my buns to my name) but Clover's ears usually stick RIGHT up as opposed to "slightly not upright" as the pic. suggests...

Last edited:
I think lop eared buns are born with upright ears that lop when they get older, maybe clover is a late developer.:D

There are probably people on here with experience of breeding that could give you more help.

Thanks for the reply:D...That's my "ponder" too - is she (?) a "late developer" or more "something other than mostly lop"...If I only had her (Clover) I would think "late developer" but it's the VERY "lop-ness" of her sister coupled with the fact that her ears appear a good bit shorter that makes me wonder...:?

TP;) - loving my buns whatever they are!!

They're most definitely not born with standing ears, no bun is:lol: but you're not mistaken. When lops emerge from the nest their ears are usually standing. If you have a lop looking like a lop at 3 weeks you're lucky, I don't remember precisely when they start to drop but they're usually loped by 8 weeks...some are more slow though, also "bad" lops may not drop their ears at all. I've seen lops with ears to each side and some with almost standing ears.
Temperature is also important. If the rabbit is born in the summer their ears drop faster, but if they are born in the winter and brought up in a very cold environment their ears can get too small and may not drop at all.

My rabbit Zakura is half lop, her father is a nethie, and she and all her siblings have ears up nearly all the time. It seems Zakura can drop one ear from time to time but this happens very rarely. I can pull them down myself but only one at a time unless I hold them, this is something I couldn't do with her dad, as a nethie his ears were just too stiff.

Do you suppose Clover's ears WILL drop at some point then ZakuraRabbit - although Sage's are dropped already with same environment given both? I am suspect of length of ears too - born the same time but Clover's are most certainly shorter...AWWW! "Bad lop"! NO WAY is my dinky Clover "bad" at anything (except maybe being a "good bun" when carrot is aspied!:lol:)

Ha! Hugo's There I agree - more through curiosity I ask than any desire to particularly own two rabbits who's ears lop. VARIETY is the spice of life after all!:D

TP;)

How old are they?
Is it the white rabbit in your avatar? It looks like they might be about to fall but I'm not quite sure.. could perhaps be easier to tell from a larger image. To be precise I'm not quite sure what to look for or if its even possible to tell..she might as well end up with "chopper ears" as Norwegian breeders call it, ears that point in any direction their whole life:roll:
Could seek out some pics of pure lops with up-ears and mixes if you like so you could try to compare.
Here's Zakura, approximately 3 weeks. She ended up with ears up.
cellphone_1203771703.jpg

Here's another mix. At 3 months she still had both ears up. The rabbit next to her is her mother, I suspect her father to be a dalmatian rex (accidental litter, no one knows for sure, definitely not a lop though)
Motheranddaugther.jpg

One of her half-brothers. He was a purebred lop but at 3 months one ear was still up. It ended up dropping eventually.
Halvlop2.jpg

Another half-sibling (yeah...same female got 3 accidental litters..) Four week old pure lop. Got lop-ears as it grew older.
Tokaninunger.jpg

Adult with weak ear-position. Her ears pretty much pointed out rather than down.
Sn.jpg

Her four-week old son.
Nussete.jpg

Same rabbit two months later.
Klbbenpsofan.jpg

Aww! Thanks for the pics!!:D

Yes, it is the same white bun as shown in my avatar and a (only slightly though) larger image of the same pic. is in my thread posted Monday ("I'm a Bun-Mum at last!!!") Both buns are from the same litter and are 8 weeks old - nearly 9.

I would say that Clover's ears stand (most of the time - the flash scared her in my avatar pic.) more upright than any of the buns you show in your pics. They are more "upright and held closer together" than any of those shown.

TP;)

It may be possible that a lionhead is in the gene pool somewhere as they have ears close together and up right. However don't hold me to that.

It may be possible that a lionhead is in the gene pool somewhere as they have ears close together and up right. However don't hold me to that.

Most breeds have ears upright. Everyone except the lops.
When saying "close together and up right" I automatically think of netherland dwarves.. but I'm sure plenty other breeds have that too.

I suspect, as the buns aren't from a breeder and hence "pedigree" that (even though Mum and Dad's (I've since been told) ears lop) there is a mighty big chance there is a "something else" mixed in somewhere...

Ah well, I think she looks kinda cute with her "sticky up" ears.:D

TP;)

ETA: Through looking at pics on here I too suspect a Netherland dwarf somewhere along the line...

I suspect, as the buns aren't from a breeder and hence "pedigree" that (even though Mum and Dad's (I've since been told) ears lop) there is a mighty big chance there is a "something else" mixed in somewhere...

Ah well, I think she looks kinda cute with her "sticky up" ears.:D

TP;)

ETA: Through looking at pics on here I too suspect a Netherland dwarf somewhere along the line...

Charlie was supposed to be a lop :lol: I think they got that drastically wrong! They were stuck outwards quite a bit when we first got him now they are bolt upright, they suit his character perfectly though, I always say they are his aerial, he's the first to hear the food bag or the door opening :lol:

What shape is your buns head, lops typically have a distinctly rounder and shorter face?

It's tricky to tell without having another bun next to them to compare to...they both seem kind of rounded - but then, they have little heads and it may be more their size making them look that way!!!:lol:

I will wait and see when they grow some.

TP;)

Well here are some pics pf my two so you can compare (any excuse to post pics of them both :lol:)

Poppy

P8140543.jpg

Both side by side

P8140561.jpg

Back