• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Holly is friendless - update vibes needed

Vanessa.B

Mama Doe
Holly was spayed yesterday at the second attempt and thankfully all went well.

Sadly sister Rosie, the timid underbunny attacked Holly as soon as they were put back together and Herbie had a go at Rosie for attacking Holly. :(:(:(:(:(

So all three have spent all day in the bathroom with Louise and then Holly and Rosie have been out for a car ride.

All to no avail, Holly is still narky with Rosie for attacking her and Rosie is narky back. Herbie is :censored: off with the pair of them and is now chasing Holly who is running scared.

I have given up for the night and put Holly in a cage on her own.

This is not good :( I have got the bonding blues and am not sure I want to try again. Tomorrow will mean some complicated dividing of the conservatory. I am so sad that I am being forced to split them up, a husbun for Holly or Rosie was in the offing but I didn't want to split them before then.

This has not been a good week on the bunny front.

Praises be that my family are no longer coming to stop for Easter, some quality bunny time is needed.

Vanessa xx

Last edited:
Oh dear!:(

I have no advice to suggest sorry as have no experience of bonding buns but wishing you well and hoping all turns out well for little Holly.

Awww! Bonding VIBES speedily coming your way!!!!

TP:(

post spay a rabbit needs strict rest - I think any bonding should be left until she's healed up - in about a fortnight. Would you ask a woman to run about or indeed lift a finger after a hyserectomy? :shock:

ETA - her painkillers will probably wear off by tomorrow too, so she'll need nursing and possibly a top-up of painkillers at the vets - she could well rupture her internal stitches and be bleeding internally without proper care and rest.

Last edited:
I resorted to splitting mine the day after their spay, I resisted as much as I could but the dominant was constantly going for the other and them fighting with those big scars was awful :( Not sure on the whole bond history here but I rebonded successfully after about 6 weeks - it wasn't necessary to wait that long but I was scared :shock: Hope things calm down and work out ok in the end :)

Ed- just read one of your other threads- for now Holly will probably still smell "weird" so if Rosie stayed at home she may not be realising who she is :(

Jess pounced on Elsie everytime Elsie's bum when near Jess's head :? It seemed that she didn't recognise her even thought they went together and both smelt weird :shock:

Last edited:
Hi Elve.

The three were already bonded prior to Holly being spayed.

We had no problem with Rosie after her spay putting them back together and I guess I expected the same again. I felt Holly would feel happier being back with the other two to cuddle up to. It seems Rosie was happier without bossy little sister being about and having Herbie to herself hence the aggro.

Lesson learnt - all bunnies react differently.

Vanessa xx

No - another mistake maybe. Rosie is such a timid soul (normally) that I didn't want to stress her out :?

They are such complicated creatures :?

Yesterday Rosie was so much happier without Holly, a lot more relaxed and actually charging about so I had decided for sure to get a husbun for her or Holly and split them up. This has been on the cards for some time but needed to get the spaying carried out first. I am just grieved that it has happened sooner than planned. I feel for little Holly, she had a rubbish day yesterday and today has been worse. She adores Herbie who now couldn't care less. Fickle so-and-so he is.

However her wound looks fine and she is tucking into her plantain supper. Tomorrow she will get lots of attention and when she is ready we will find her a new more devoted hubby - but am not sure I can do the bonding. :(

Last edited:
awww that's a shame, but good that you have room for another bunny - they do seem to work best in m/f pairs. You do always have to take bonded bunnies to the vets together, because they smell so different when they come back that the others don't recognise them - When Maa had her eye out I couldn't rebond her with her 4 daughters - cos no way could I have had a group of 5 to the vets and in my bedroom for a week! :roll:

I wouldn't worry about bonding Holly with a boyfriend sometime - it's usually much easier than bonding females - says me who's too chicken to ever try bonding :oops:

Well, I'm feelling chicken too.

Herbie with the two girlies was easy but having seen the not so pleasant side of bonding, I am now spooked!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vanessa xx

Its great that Holly was able to be spayed on her second go. I think you would be best to let her recover from her surgery separately. I would have another go at rebonding later.

Elve, I had realized that Maa is the mum of the 4 girls.

Elve, I had realized that Maa is the mum of the 4 girls.

yeah they were a job-lot from Kirkby rescue - I felt very lucky to get literally every colour bunny I'd ever dreamt of, all bonded into a group! :lol: Hard to believe they are all immediate family of each other too - genetics is a wierd thing! :shock:

Well, I'm feelling chicken too.

Herbie with the two girlies was easy but having seen the not so pleasant side of bonding, I am now spooked!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vanessa xx

yeah I stupidly thought that Benny, alone since his brother died, would get on with a group of 5 rampaging girls when I adopted them :roll: After they'd all piled onto him and tried to kill him, he ran up to me looking sooooo desperate - sat at my feet looking up at me as if to say 'heeeeeelp meeeeee!' - poor little chap :( So he was a house bunny for a while after that, then when he bit the nethie I adopted for his wife before they'd even met (through the cage bars - nasty wound on her face :roll:) I moved him outside with Maa (up till then in my bedroom after her eye op) - and they are quite contented as neighbours, so I won't ever bond again - they accidentally got together once and it went well for 5 mins till she realised he was a fella and tried to destroy his manhood :lol: oooh never again :roll: Have to keep them a few feet seperated from the girls when they are out though, as the girls all try to kill each other when they get nose to nose with another rabbit - referred aggression is what it's called as they can't kill the other rabbit, so they attack their buddies :roll: My rabbits are all happy as they are, so I'm not worried :)

Thanks for the replies. Elve, it sounds like a military operation keeping your bunnies apart. You must be so organised!

I have just given the bunnies their breakfast.

Holly is eating well but looks so sad on her own :(:(:(

As for Rosie, she has got her man without an intefering sister around and she knows it. She is cuddled up to Herbie looking smug :?

I am going to leave them apart and split the conservatory for the time being whilst Holly is still convalescing. I am not going to try them together again until the bunny shed is built and fitted out.

Vanessa xx

Last edited:
oh well at least 2 of your bunnies are happy - don't knock it that's an achievement! :lol: Maybe Holly would like a cuddly toy to snuggle up to? I've heard that some single bunnies do, although Maa just kicked her little Pikachu across the patio :)

Id say try them together again. The only reason I say that is cos Munch was at the veta few weeks ago & had to stay there overnight. When I brought him home Pipkin his missus accepted him no problem but Lucky (my most submissive bun) lunged for him but as she was still in her cage all she could do was viciously attack the bars. I think it was because Munch smelt funny. A couple of hours later after he'd run around the living room & been in his own hutch she was fine with him. Maybe you could try putting yours together again but have someone else with you to help separate them if they start fighting. The longer they are apart the harder it will be to rebond. Good luck

So sorry to hear this. My trio broke up and it is very difficult and heartbreaking. I also feel sad for my Nushka on her own, but like you I am going to get her a husbunny of her own. It is a nightmare keeping them separate, two upstairs and one downstairs never allowed to meet. I really feel for you but if its anything like mine they won't get back together now Rosie has her man to herself - Daisy refuses to share Gabriel now.

Hope she recovers well from her spay x

PS I'm resolving the upstairs downstairs by moving Nush & new husbun outside when warmer and I have my playhouse :D

So I have split up the conservatory today and it is an absolute pain for me and OH who are not so tall. Climbing over double thickness run panels in tight jeans is not good :(

Rosie is being a real mardy mare and has tried to bite Holly through the panels hence they are now doubled up. Herbie and Rosie are stroppy cos they have lost some of their space but at the moment there is no other option.

Little Holly is healing well and is happier now she has some space to roam in. We have given her one of Louise's teddies to cuddle up to but as soon as we are able we will find her a hubby of her own - Kayj has a lionhead boy who is our first choice. From the behaviour I have seen today I don't think there is anyway our three can live as a threesome in the conservatory again. :(

Vanessa xx

Oh:censored:

Famous last words.

Have got up to find Rosie's fur everywhere. Herbie is having a go at her now cos of Holly's precence. This can't go on :( :(:( and there is no where else for them to be split indoors as hubby reacts badly to hay.

I wonder if a day in the kitchen will knock some sense into them if OH goes out all day. This is where they were originally bonded back in October. Oh how fragile are some bunny bonds.

Any calming/bonding vibes would be welcome.

Vanessa xx

Awww this must be so stressful for all of you.

Why they can't just all live together and be friends is beyond me! Hope it all works out for you all.

Back