PDA

View Full Version : bales of hay

Crystal butterfly
20-03-2008, 06:58 PM
i just wondered how large the bales of hay are from this site

http://www.dustfreehay.co.uk/index.htm

i have never ordered from this site mainly because im scarred the bales will e as big as those on the farms if you get me and i have no room for bales that big and it would just be a waste so if someone could give me a rough idea on size id be much grateful :)

also is their a diffrence between timothy hay and normal hay?

xx

Becki xX
20-03-2008, 06:59 PM
The bales are the same size as the ones from farms :) X

Crystal butterfly
20-03-2008, 07:01 PM
ah thats no good then couldnt fit them anywhere :(

thistle
20-03-2008, 07:19 PM
The large bales are about the size of farm ones, but the small ones are nowhere near that (the large bale is the equivalent to 7 or 8 small bales) if you look at the 4th picture down on the page in the link below you can see both a large and a small bale up against someones legs (to let you get an idea of the size). The smaller bale is a bit bigger than the large compressed bags of hay you get in pet shops.

http://www.dustfreehay.co.uk/hay2.html

Timothy hay is much stalkier than normal hay, so is really good for wearing down teeth.

Crystal butterfly
20-03-2008, 07:35 PM
the large bales look the same height as a farm hay but are they as think as you know farm hay is a massive cirle thing making it extremly bulky which is my biggest problem width and height = no problem but the depth of the hay is the problem if its really wide if that makes sense im kind of confusing myself :oops:

i dont think id bother buying the small bags because i could easily go to my local pet store (doesnt sell animals) and get about 5 bags for the same price :?

thistle
20-03-2008, 07:41 PM
I have just taken a measuring tape to my large bale, it's about a foot deep and 18" wide. Hope this helps

jackiestone
20-03-2008, 07:45 PM
How long does the large bale last the 25.99 one please?

Thanks

Jackie

Crystal butterfly
20-03-2008, 07:47 PM
thats perfect :D it will deffinatly fit in my shed then will get ordering some now if push come to a shove i can place it in my large cupboard inside if it turns out its to big i can always donate it to a local rescue :)

joeyred
20-03-2008, 07:47 PM
To give you an idea the large bale when placed on the floor in front of you is about waist height and roughly 2-3ft wide (it sounds a lot but it's not really).

Also remember its compressed which makes the bale even smaller. I store mine under the stairs ( which is not that big) cut a hole in the sack and pull chunks off when needed. I large bale lasts us 6 weeks for 3 rabs

The Duchess
20-03-2008, 09:15 PM
I haven't bought from these folks before although I have read that their products seem very good quality.

I do buy locally produced meadow and timothy hay in a compressed bale weighing in at about 15-20kgs and measures 3'x1 1/2'x1' and costs 4.00:shock:. It isn't dust extracted (although it is normally very good and low dust) but it's lovely quality and very green and leafy/stalky.

Whilst I know that this supplier Dust Free Hay is probably very convenient for folks who can't get to a farm, but I would strongly recommend seeking a farm nearby as it makes it so much cheaper and you can go and check the quality yourself. If I didn't have access to this hay I wouldn't be able to have all of my buns as it would be far too expensive.

By buying reasonably priced quality hay, it means that I can give much more than I could otherwise and they can have a mound to keep them warm on cold nights as well as for their supper.

If you haven't got room for a big bale, do you have a bunny friend locally who could share a bale and the cost with you?

Phoebesmummy9
20-03-2008, 09:22 PM
I was gunna try ringing round local farms to see if they sold the bails!

The Duchess
20-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Deffo worth the effort I can promise you. So much cheaper.:D

Hope you are lucky and find a good supplier locally.

XMissySJx
20-03-2008, 09:24 PM
also contact animal feed suppliers, i contacted one in essex n he gives me a large bale of hay, and a large bale of straw, at 3 each! each bale gives me around TWENTY bin bags full to the brim!