• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Depressed bunny?

Stevie b

Warren Scout
I am a bit worried about my black bun, Millie (1 yr old).
The other one, Miffy (15month old), is much more of a people rabbit, and so comes to me and my partner for fuss and attention. Millie is much more nervous about people and prefers to choose when she gets attention.
They are both females (both spayed) and are not bonded as have fought in the past so i have to let them have time out of their cages individually (they are house rabbits).
In the past week, i have noticed that Millie, who normally comes skipping out of her cage to run about at a million miles an hour, has been tentively coming out for a small while and then going back in and just laying stretched out. She just seems fed up...she is eating, drinking, pooing and weeing as normal and she is not hunched up or grinding teeth or...Also she has started being really aggressive to me and my partner when we put our hands in her hutch to feed her or get her litter tray etc. I know this can be normal for buns but she has never been like this before.
Basically everything is normal with her apart from she seems depressed and this sudden agressive behaviour to us when we go into her cage...
Has anyone else experience anything like this? Any suggestions on how to 'cheer her up' or does anyone recognise this behaviour as a health problem? Help!!! :shock: :(

i dont know to be honest with you :? when Misty was depressed i just knew he was as he changed when i split him and Binky up he became really lazy never wanted to play anymore and always had a sad face i took a picture of him and nearly cried looking back at it as i could see the sadness in his eyes luckily hes now bonded with Crystal and he is deffinatly loads happier. have you thought about getting her a boyfriend? if this isnt possible could you try setting up both rabbits housing next to each other so they can see each other but are unable to fight with one another? or if they can already see each other maybe your bun is taking her behaviour out on you because she is unable to get to your other rabbit to attack if that makes sense :oops:

also with it being that time of year homones are abit 'high' at this time of year even with speyed/neutered rabbits as both Crystal and Misty have been affected causing a few scuffles between them.

Well their cages are next to each other like you said...I have been thinking that she coiuld do with a husbun cuz she is quite nervous...sometimes she seems a bit lost. I have been thinking that if i got her one it might make her feel a bit more secure. Would that happen?

The only thing with it is, i am worried if it will affect my other female bun if i do this. She has a better relationship with us people so i think she would be ok, but i wouldn't want her to get picked on or anything. :?

Years ago when I got my first rabbits I had 3 girls, 2 black sisters (Mona and Karma) and one female chinchilla rabbit, Mithril.

Mithril was ver much a people rabbit. We tried to bond her with 2 boys and 2 girls all seperatly of course but she hated them all so she lived on her own although I don't think its best for a bun. In contrast the two sisters hated to be handled and hated us. Mithril would lick our hands and curl up beside me, she was like apup. Mona and karma were very aggressive and independant. It took 2 years before they settled down and became friendlier and this was after getting spayed too :roll:

Anyway Millie could just be suffering a change in hormones after getting spayed. The hormones take a few months to subside, she might be experincing a few mood swings. Sometimes behaviour like that can indicate illness so I would keep a very close eye on her and phone the vet at the first sign of anything strange. Also I gather she is a housebunnie. If you have a garden you could take her out a few times for excerise and its a chance for her to see something new. Bunnies like a routine in regards to feeding times but give them vareity and stimulation using toys. Maybe offer them a spoonful of fresh veg each day or even make a mixed salad for them. It will inject a bit of fun and colour into their lives.
ll the girls I have ever kept together including sisters have had to be split up eventually so a husbun is worth considering. Rabbbits do so yearn for companionship. If you can find a local rescue, take her to meet a potential husbun, let her choose for herself.

I know everything I have said is a lot to consider but I hope its helpful to you.

Back