• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

wet legs

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
Peanut has strted 2 have wet legs more than normal when he wees...sort of under his tail and down the sides of his legs towards where his hocks are. none of the others have it, he went to the vet 4 a checkup a month ago n they didnt say anything... he has a checkup in 2 weeks when he has his myxi booster...

ive chedk and he dusnt have any urine burns etc like ive heard about...?

any advice woudl be useful! He is quite fluffy

Could be a few things....

He's quite young isn't he so it's unlikely to be arthritis? A bladder infection could be the cause, but he would probably go outside his tray too.
I have heard that hip dysplasia can cause that too, but not sure.

Sorry to be so vague! :)

well he isnt acting any different, he doesnt pee outside his litter tray. hes going to to 2 this year, and hes never been panacured

One of mine does this when he is "under the weather", if it continues you should get him checked out.

Do you have any megazorb or similar to soak up any urine he does in case is is sat in it.

Just keep any eye that he does not get urine scald, if he does a weak solution of Hibiscrub may help. Hopefully it won't come to that though.

its weird cus the other day he was indoors in a pen, n he peed on the floor n still got it:? so its not like hes actually 'getting it' from sitting in the wee

E. cuniculi would be one of the first things I would check. Other wise it could be possible that another part of him is hurting so he is holding himself at a slightly diffferent angle, so when he wees it doesn't come out as straight as normal.

I would get him checked over by a vet as they know how manipulate joints etc properly.

like..i dunno what it is i suppose lol!
i dnt kno anything about it. i checked him today and ther enot so bad, hes legs r yellow fromt he wee n a little bit wet but deffo not urine burns or anything xx

does sound like summat odd.. im sure your vet will clear it up hun what ever is making him do it xxxx

can any1 tell me about E.C?

E. cuniculi is a protazoan parasite that has a corkscrew type attachment that lets it burrow into cells, where they multiply causing the cells to rupture releasing new parasites to enter the next cell etc. This usually occurs in the central nervous system or the kidneys but can also involve the liver. The rupturing cells cause inflamation in the area they are in eg brain, leading to head tilt, spinal cord, back leg paralysis and kidneys leading to incontinence.

As it is a parasite panacur can have good result as it can reduce the e cuniculi but it all depends on how much permanent damage has been done to the affected cells. If inflamation can be reduced then there is a good chance of some recovery.

At least 60% of rabbits who show no symptoms carry e. cuniculi, which is why many people routinely panacur their rabbits. It can be passed from rabbit to rabbit in spores in urine and is also passed from the mum to her fetuses usually entering through the lens in the eyes leading to cataracts.

I hope this is some help.

This doesn't mean to say this is why your bunny is having problems so please don't panic. It is just something to consider when you get him checked out :)

he has a appointment in 2 weeks for his myxi so i will get it checked out then as he gets a health check anyway, and the vet only saw him a month ago and said he was fine, so it must only be recent. if it was really bad iw ould take him straight away but unless it gets worse i will ask about it in 2 weeks.

thanks everyone! x

i think it would be a good idea to get some panacur into him hun, just incase it is that nasty EC you can get it online without seeing a vet. if he doesnt have EC it will do nothing to affect him, just like worming a dog really but if he has contracted it early treatment would be safest :)

Back