• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

litter deodorisers

sherbert

Young Bun
Hi,

Does anyone know of anything i can put in the litter tray to get rid of the ammonia smell that is safe for rabbits.

Im aware it may be what im feeding them, which is nothing unusual, but they really really smell at the moment. The day after ive cleaned the litter tray it smells like ive not changed it for a week!:shock:
They dont normally smell this bad. Any ideas or tips would be very much appreciated

Thanks!:D

what litter do you use ive started to use wood pellets no smell at all i add bit of hay on top of them for buns to chew

lisa

I use Tesco white hygeine cat litter inside for Nigel and the cat - and Nigel's wee only smells of hay anyway so it's not bad. Outside in their tray I use stuff for horse bedding. It's like wood chips but soft, a bit like big thick sawdust. They love it and jump in it all the time, and it's absorbent.

I use wood pellets called fussy puss, its best to try and avoid other types of cat litter as there is a risk the bunny could eat it and it swells in their tummies. I know of two people who had that problem.

Fussy puss smells lovely, of pine, and I never have a prob with odour.

You can buy a product called cage fresh or something like that in the pet shop. It looks like talc, which you sprinkle under the litter to keep things smelling fresh. I use it in my hamster cage and it def makes a difference.

is that the same as the one you can get for cats litter trays?its smells sooo nice. from morrisons only 99p.leaves your house smelling nice too.x

I use cage fresh granules (for small animals) available from P@H and megazorb in their litter trays, definately works as far as odors are concerned.

I do rinse out their litter trays but with bleach same as i do for the cat litter tray once per week not every time i change the litter......i do make sure i rinse the bleach away fully though before re filling it.

I use wood based cat litter (the value stuff from pets at home at the moment)

I have seen those deodorising talcs but wasnt sure if it was safe for buns.....definatley give it a go now though :D

Thanks!!

Back