• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I'm an idiot

Paul.

Young Bun
Yes, yes I am.

Rambo played sorta-dead with me, and got me good.

I was playing with him, picked him up (didnt appreciate that :lol:), when i put him down, he hopped away and layed down... wouldn't move and looked like his eye was hurting...

I panicked, called my mum over to check, and the little begger gets up and hops away... :rolleyes::lol:

sigh...

--

also, he's got sores on his back, and left front leg, the only thing i can put it down to is the straw i had introduced, ive taken the straw away, and washed him, doesnt appear to be fleas or anything. he's going to vet on saturday... any other suggestions?

Yes, yes I am.

Rambo played sorta-dead with me, and got me good.

I was playing with him, picked him up (didnt appreciate that :lol:), when i put him down, he hopped away and layed down... wouldn't move and looked like his eye was hurting...

I panicked, called my mum over to check, and the little begger gets up and hops away... :rolleyes::lol:

sigh

Sounds like he keeps you on your toes!!!:lol:

I've had mine nearly two years now and I know they do the 'dead bunny flop' but it still makes my stomach flip when they do it. :roll: I think they like to test us. :lol:

Dont take away the hay. . My french lops had mites in their old home and they removed all the hay and stopped feeding it so the mites would not recur:roll:It took them a while to get used to hay again with me and now they love it.

Dont take away the hay. . My french lops had mites in their old home and they removed all the hay and stopped feeding it so the mites would not recur:roll:It took them a while to get used to hay again with me and now they love it.

I know the hay is good for them to munch on but im not taking the chance at least until he goes to the vet.

theres a fair chance i won't put it back, he's got a truckload of things to chew on, and keep him healthy.

Hi Paul I'm not sure if I perhaps misunderstood your post "he's got a truckload of things to chew on, and keep him healthy." He needs the hay to keep his guts healthy, not just his teeth. If he has mites, they are already on his skin so leaving the hay there will make no difference to his condition. Keep the hay there for him for now and change it when he starts his treatment.

He must have hay to eat at all times. Its essential to his good health. Mites can be treated.
Where did you get your hay from? I've had a bale of hay from a farm and it had all sorts in it, weeds, string etc. I buy bags of hay from a pet shop now. Its more expensive but worth paying extra for good quality hay.

He must have his hay. If he's got mites taking away the hay won't make any difference now. The way I understand it is that mites can be present in hay or straw or things all the time anyway its just that if a bun is stressed or under the weather in anyway the mites can take hold an cause an infestation. Is that right?
He really needs hay to keep his guts healthy. It should make up a very large part of their diet and so really is the most important for him. It probably makes up about 70% of my buns diet. Taking hay away could do much more harm than good.
If its mites its easy for the vet to treat it. If you are concerned about the existing hay you have you could go get some prepackaged hay from a pet shop or try a different brand?

ok, bit of an update.

Took him to the Vet, he gave him a good thorough check.

Scratched off most of the scabbing, gave him some drops and that was that.

The most worrying thing about it all was he said his plums hadn't really dropped at all, to suggest Rambo is either younger than I thought, or not a male.

Vet advised to leave him away from the straw until he gets over this.

your vet doesnt sound very rabbit savvy. he would have been able to tell you if it was a female or a male. and they would know how essential hay is to a diet. they are supposed to eat their body size of hay a day to give them the right amount of fibre

Straw or hay,rabbits need hay no matter what and if your vet has said to keep him away then they should look into another career.
Rick

we get our hay from a local pet shop..never got any from a farm before ...touch wood never had mites either:lol:
they need hay to keep tummies working properly...is there a good local pet shop near you? dont use p@h as their hay is dusty and rubbish..it needs to be long bits and smell lovely!:lol:

we get our hay from a local pet shop..never got any from a farm before ...touch wood never had mites either:lol:
they need hay to keep tummies working properly...is there a good local pet shop near you? dont use p@h as their hay is dusty and rubbish..it needs to be long bits and smell lovely!:lol:

Located in Aus, so scoping it out when i have time.

The vet I went to isn't a regular, only a case of it being Easter Saturday and the only one open.

Little ****** is better, loves a scratch around where he had the scabs, only 2 left and they're flaking :)

:wave:

Back