• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Adopting a new bunny

pumsalient

Young Bun
Hi Everyone
I lost my beautiful 8 year old mini lop houserabbit a while ago and have now decided it's time to find a new floppy eared friend. I am going to visit a bunny from a recognised breeder with a view to adopting him. The breeder has a really good website and is registered etc so I don't anticipate there being any problems as long as bunny likes me! Are there any particular questions I should be asking etc when I go to visit? I did ask if he had any teeth problems and also checked that his Mum and Dad are not related.
Thanks

I did think about it but I was devastated when I lost my 8 year old mini lop and want to have as much time with my new bunny as possible. I also want to have the chance to bring up a baby bunny again and this just feels right for me.

Hi there again.

I completely understand why you might want an really young or baby bunny. I would love to have as long as possible with all of my 12 but most have health issues brought about by the lack of care or thoughtlessness of their previous owners so it stands to reason that I might not have their company as long as a new baby. I also understand that you might, if you go to a breed breeder get a bunny who may not have so many difficulties due to cross or unintentional breeding (there are of course no guarantees in life with the bunnies or us humans)- but this isn't so important to me.

I have a gorgeous wee boy who was born at a rescue; there are often loads of unwanted litters at rescues and you could make a massive difference to one/a pair of them.

Personally I prefer older buns and those from rescues because their personalities are ofter far more developed and you know what you are taking in terms of behavior. I am also a bit of a sucker for those who need extra special care or 'manky buns' as my friend and I call them.

I respect everybody's right to choose though so I am sure if you have done your research about this particular breeder and you are happy with your gut feeling, that's fine.

I wish you a long and happy relationship with your new bunny/nnies.

Helen

Last edited:
My fifi came from rescue at about 20 weeks old :D;)
The good thing of getting a bunny from a rescue rather than a breeder is they have often been neutered already, often vaccinated, and checked by a vet. They would also be able to possibly pair your bunny with another as they do like to have company :D Honeybunny's is in Narborough, leicestershire, dunno if that is near to you? she has several bunnies listed on RR who are under 1yr old ;)

Last edited:
Awwww good luck with your search and hope you find the bunny of your dreams :wave: Remember we want to see piccies :D

Whereabouts do you live out of interest! You may also want to search some locals rescues specifically for babies! I know there are lots of cute babies on rabbit rehome section.

I did think about it but I was devastated when I lost my 8 year old mini lop and want to have as much time with my new bunny as possible. I also want to have the chance to bring up a baby bunny again and this just feels right for me.

Rescues have lots of baby bunnies. Have you tried the Rabbit Rehome website to see if any rescues in your area have any young buns?

Back