• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Alert: In view of Tree's situation, take photos of your bunnies w/ today's newspaper

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
Okay, this is a trick that a lawyer told me:

Take the front cover of today's newspaper, put it side by side, right next to your bunny, take photo, 1 bunny at a time. So if you have 20 bunnies, take 20 photos, 1 for each bunny with the newspaper visible next to the bunny.

That way, you have a proof that as of this date, those bunnies in your home IS YOURS, not someone else, as the date of the newspaper is part of that photos. The DATE serves as proof of the actual date that the bunny is in your house, belongs to you.

Keep the newspaper in a safe place, make sure when the photo is taken, that the distinct part of the newspaper is shown, for e.g., a photo of someone at the front cover, and preferably, the photo show the date of the newspaper. If not the photo doesn't show the date, get a photo of the newspaper itself to prove the date.

don't bother to proof you own "this" bunny by your vet invoice, as your vet inv. has no picture of your bun, and if the vet clinic is closed, you can't proof that to the police. A simple photo is all you need

Do this today in case what happens to Tree may be happening to you.

Keep the photos in a safe place or burn it on a DVD+R, or copied them on a USB Flash Drive, don't just leave it in your hard drive, because your hard drive can crash. A small USB flash drive is only $10.

If your bun has no distinct marking, look for some part of his/her body that is distinct, for eg., my bunny's ear has a few "bubbles" / red spot on the inside of her ear, the location of those spots taken by the camera along w/ today's date newspaper can proof the bunny is, indeed, YOUR BUNNY. Do your best to look for some distinct spot of your bunny

Last edited:
But its too late now in this case. All the photos would prove was that we had the Bun/Buns today not when we got them. That too could have been today. The alleged crime took place weeks ago so we would need photographic evidence from *before the date of the alleged crime*

I am seriously concerned about getting a visit from The Old Bill given my 'history'....:?

I have several REWs but none are NZW.
Flippin' 'eck RU is making me paranoid in more ways than I thought....:?

Janex

Last edited:
don't bother to proof you own "this" bunny by your vet invoice, as your vet inv. has no picture of your bun, and if the vet clinic is closed, you can't proof that to the police. A simple photo is all you need
But if your bunnie does not have distinctive markings, that are indesputable, the photos will not work either. I think microchipping for safety of all bunnies and cameras at your house are the answer for the future. Very careful organized record keeping of your rabbits, in a ledger type book like an accountant would do with keeping books, would be what Solicitors would advise for the future, as that is what is admissable in all venues of court cases.
Count me in, if there is any organization of donations to help everyone involved.

Excellent pt. So we should added that we should dig out some distinct marking on your own bunnies. For e.g., the color of the nail of the bunny or it could be a small red spot at a certain location of the bunny's ear, which can be used to prove your bunny IS yours.

I agree. I write this mesg. is for future incidents, if you take the photos today, and someone come by in the near future, you can still proof the bunny is yours.

Would pics of buns posted on here on certain dates be proof if it came to it? I know posts can be edited but in that case the 'edited on..' appears on them.

This is where microchipping your pets is invaluable. It will at least give the opportunity for the right animal to be brought back to you safely. :(

but ive got photos from the day i brought them home up until now, i have over 2000 photos of my bunnies on my pc so surley nobody wo uld question whether or not i own them?

This is where microchipping your pets is invaluable. It will at least give the opportunity for the right animal to be brought back to you safely. :(

i agree, I never even thought of microchipping as I live in a third floor flat and the bunnies are indoor ones. But these has made me re think and I'm going to find out how much it will cost to get two rabbits done.

if there were police knocking at your door, they don't have microclip device, they still have to take your bunny away from you. But if you have a photo w/ today's newspaper, there is no debate

NO. That wouldn't do it for legal reason. You have to assume if the police is at your door, this web site could be down. And if it's up, you can't proof the Login ID is you, among many other problems to prove that bunny is yours.

You vet is not w/ you, your vet invoice has no photo of the bun.

The simplest way is to take a photo w/ today's newspaper, especially if you run a rescue, that way, the DATE on the newspaper appearing on the same photo w/ your bun legitimately proof it has to be your bunny from the date the photo is taken. The police can be out of your door within mintues. It's simple and effective

Would pics of buns posted on here on certain dates be proof if it came to it? I know posts can be edited but in that case the 'edited on..' appears on them.

I would have thought in theory that they could be used as proof that these rabbits were about on the dates they were posted, unless there is a method of fiddling pictures on photobucket. I am not computer literate to be able to confirm if this is possible.

My feelings with this is that normal bunny owners do not need to worry, it is those people who take in rabbits for what ever reason. ARC have not taken in any NZW since we took in Katie and Laura many many months ago, they have been signed over to ARC when they arrived which was long before this situation occured.

This just demonstrates the importance of correct paperwork being made and stored to ensure that each rabbits history is traceable where possible.

don't all digital photos carry a taken on date under their properties? don't know if this is editable or not.

at any rate most people have numerous photos going back over several months which would show your garden/set up over the changing seasons.

i think its only really if you've recently acquired your buns you may need to be careful????:?

When I was doing up my mother in laws bathroom I found some newspapers from the 70s under the bath. Wished I'd kept them - I could prove Trooper & Lillie were 30 years old :lol: I'm not convinced your lawyer friend is correct :?

Mike

Ironically enough, I was in the vets on Monday and was discussing micro chipping with my vet, not because of this latest incident but because I was concerned that if I lost my bunnies or they were stolen whilst I was on holiday, most rescues only allow 7 days before they rehome which does not allow a person who has gone away for 2 or 3 weeks chance to find their buns when they return so micro chipping would be the only proof of ownership so I have decided to have it done:)

On this note though Jason, most people have uploaded pictures of thier buns on thier pc which should be proof enough, even if they have deleted them and deleted the recycle box, your pc hard drive still stores everything for the experts to search for and what dates are on those documents or websites they have visited, its why so many sex offenders have their pc taken by police un-beknown to them that despite deleting things, it can still be tracked;)

The biggest problem I forsee with this latest incident is that, any white bun being adopted or taken in from here on in is going to be in dispute:( whether if that be tomorrow or in 12 months time as being as they are looking for 129 rabbits so, taking a picture or micro chipping from todays date is not really going to prove anything eccept for the bun was possibly acquired after these buns were stolen :(

The ironic thing about all of this is, if they are looking for NZ whites then in my eyes they need an expert on board as I replied to Carys topic when she had hers bonded into a group of 6 and they did not look like NZW's to me, they were far to small to be anything but a NZW so what chance does any other white bun have out there at the moment:roll::(

There is one other point of evidence that might be proof though. I have had one of my buns head x rayed so anyone who has maybe had the same due to tooth problems or root issues might be able to prove ownership through x rays:?

Back