• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Im hopeless ....opinions please on a little hammy

bunnyrun

Mama Doe
This afternoon i went out for supplies and guess what i came home with ?

These situations always end up finding me :roll: a localish petshop was getting rid of a bunny who maybe pregnant :cry::shock: so after alot of talking on my part :oops: she,s come home with me, im in the dog house with my hubby tho :oops: i guess im just not strong enough to say no :oops:

There was also a little hamster there who was spinning round in circles so after alot of persuasion im going back to get him tomorrow apparently he,s had a middle ear infection but has recovered :shock: and they think its ok to sell him like that :cry: Do you think im doing the right thing going and getting him ?

If you are able to cope with a hamster and you think it will be well looked after, than its better you getting him than someone who wont look after him.

i dount he will be recovered if he is still going in circles, unless it has caused permanent damage. If so i doubt anyone will want to buy the poor thing, so yes i think you are right in going to get him, i know i would. I have always had hamsters and they are so lovely.

i'd probably go back and get the hamster....but my mom might not be too happy with another mouth to feed....but she'd get used to it and fall in lub with it :lol:

I had the same issue with a baby guinea pig in a shop I only went in to keep an eye on - have had to report them before. The guinea pig was the only one in a run with a group of rabbits, with no hides to escape. All being feed on rabbit food and no fresh feed - so massive vit c deficiency for guinea pig. I went in once or twice a week for a month, hoping the guinea pig would have been sold. But the poor thing wasn't the prettiest - looked white, with red eyes and a bit black spot on her back. She looked really dirty, grey colour and wasn't grooming herself. I think she was taken away from her mother too young, and with no other guinea pigs to learn from, didn't know how.

Then one day, she had been in the shop a month, I went in and she was sitting all hunched up in the corner of the run, with her nose as tight into the corner as it would go, the bunnies all running and binkying around her, playing with each other. Didn't move for 15 minutes!!! :cry:

Lou has been mine now for 2 months. She is a confident and happy guinea pig, with 8 others to play with. Now that she is on a proper diet, her fur is in better condition and she has learnt to groom herself. She is actually a beautiful cream colour, instead of dirty grey. Lou is tiny, little bigger then 8 week old piggies we rehomed recently. (she is at least 4 months old). Has to be due to the poor diet in the pet shop, and any dietary and /or breeding issues before that.

Point of story is, my only regret is not taking her home sooner. Best of luck with the hamster. :wave:

I would get him, but refuse to pay for him, If thats possible. You don't really want to fund the petshop, explain he may still be ill and you will take him and cover the vet cost?

Back