• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Are rabbits allergic to hay?

jessiebuns

Warren Scout
:wave: I have a question. Are rabbits allergic to hay?? Because my mothers neighbours bunnies are! APPARENTLY:evil:

They can be, but it is rare. When we went to Bobtails rescue two years ago, they had a pair of bunnies that just had shredded paper in their enclosure. I was told that they were over sensitive to hay.

Thanks for that:D So grass is ok? Do you mean dried grass like Supa-forage or Redigrass?? Sorry, but I am concerned for their welfare.

I once heard of some people with dust-allergies spraying a bit of water onto the hay before giving it to the rabbit/guinea pig/whatever.. Never tried this myself though, despite my hay-allergies I am determined to get through it! (Also, the doctors confirmed I am allergic to grass so wetting it probably wouldn't do me any difference:roll:)

Hay is pretty much dried grass, but the grass-types may vary.

It seems VERY unlikely that more than one rabbit in the same household has an allergy. :shock:

It could be down to using poor quality hay with lots of dust or mould spores, or storing the hay incorrectly (i.e. in plastic bags).

It's probably more likely that they have another illness which is easier to label an allergy :roll:

My pony had a dust allergy, and had to have her hay soaked in water.

Amy

It could be down to using poor quality hay with lots of dust or mould spores, or storing the hay incorrectly (i.e. in plastic bags).

****!

Thanks for mentioning that, explains rambo's irritation, he's pulled fur out and has sores ... ive taken it away.

:rolleyes::censored:

Are you sure its not rabbit fur mites?...they're very common. They cause itching and fur loss, especially along the rabbit's back.

Treatment is with Ivermectin, which is available from your vet, or on-line here:

http://www.vetscriptions.co.uk/XENO450SO.html

Amy

I rang the emergency vet, they said that it's not fleas unless I could see them (i.e. black littler things), i checked his straw, and cage before I cleaned it for any clues but nothing, and the infected areas he'll let me touch now, before they were VERY sensitive.

He's going to the vet on the weekend... :rolleyes:

You won't be able to see mites, they are tiny and burrow under the skin (yuck) the most you might see are little red dots or trails of dots, mostly the skin just looks sore though.
A simple drop on the back of the neck sorts it out though, although you sometimes need 2 treatments to break the breeding cycle. :)

Also I buy hay with dust extracted, and if you are outside, a good shake of each handful will remove a bit more.

Back