• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moulting again?!

Kenno

Warren Scout
Tomee is moulting again! It's about the third or fourth time since I got him and that was in October! Do you think that's strange? Does anyone elses rabbit moult loads?

I swear Piper has been moulting for the last six months... :roll: My vet has checked her over and said she's healthy and all that but I can't imagine moulting that long is normal.

Did he give you no reason for the excess moulting?

Like you said it can't be normal moulting that much! I thought bunnies only moulted like twice a year? :?

Is he an indoor bunny?
Alot of indoor buns moult year round due to central heating and other temperature fluctuations :)
Outdoor buns will moult twice a year to shed their winter coat around spring and thicken up their summer coat around autumn. Indoor buns don't need to do this so end up moulting alot more!

He's an outdoor bun, always has been.

He was moulting when I got him and got a really thick coat for winter, then in January he moulted a little then stopped and had a slightly thinner coat and now he's moulting again, but he's shedding alot this time.

Could it be to do with the weather? As it has been fluctuating alot recently.

My Barney rabbits seems to moult a lot... which is a pain, because when his moult turns very heavy (and despite looking like he has less fur than the three girlies, he moults the worst) he can give me GI stasis scares... He's always got a moult line somewhere along his back, however... When it's really bad, as it is at the moment, he looks a right little scruff. :lol: He's an outdoor bunny, and always has been, so his near constant moult is a mystery to me.

He's an outdoor bun, always has been.

He was moulting when I got him and got a really thick coat for winter, then in January he moulted a little then stopped and had a slightly thinner coat and now he's moulting again, but he's shedding alot this time.

Could it be to do with the weather? As it has been fluctuating alot recently.

Yes I think you are right, its been crazy going from warm to cold so prob just the fluctuations in temp :)

My Barney rabbits seems to moult a lot... which is a pain, because when his moult turns very heavy (and despite looking like he has less fur than the three girlies, he moults the worst) he can give me GI stasis scares... He's always got a moult line somewhere along his back, however... When it's really bad, as it is at the moment, he looks a right little scruff. :lol: He's an outdoor bunny, and always has been, so his near constant moult is a mystery to me.

When I'm glad I'm not the only one with a mystery moulter! Can I ask what breed Barney is? As I noticed you had a dutch in your sig and Tomee's a dutch, so it could be a dutch thing?!

Yes I think you are right, its been crazy going from warm to cold so prob just the fluctuations in temp :)

:) Aww poor confused bunny fur! Though I do wish he wouldn't moult so often, I get out the run looking like a bunny myself! :lol:

Barney is the dutch rabbit, yep! ^^
The first rabbit I had, another Dutch - this time a doe - called Benji, was nearly always moulting also. :? Maybe it IS a Dutch thing?

I just discovered that all three of my others are moulting, also... But at least with them I know in a few weeks they'll stop. :roll: No such luck with my Barney-bob.

Back