• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice please Bunnie eating normal Poo's! (raisons)

CRBevis

Mama Doe
Once again after a bout of stasis Bunnie has resigned to eating her raisons.

As before when ill she very slowly increases her hay intake over a matter of weeks but eats veg and pellet fine, but eats her raisons. Yes she is eating cecals fine.

Last time when she was in Stasis (for the first time ever) , she ate her raisons for about a month afterwards and slowly decreased this and at same time increased her hay eating to a substantial amount. Raison eating then ceased:D

Now after being ill last week she is eating raisons again, it's almost as though she rather eat her raisons then hay, although her hay eating is slowly but surely increasing each day!

Any reason or ideas as to why she does this?

Does anyone elses bun eat raisons after being poorly?
Does anyones bun eat there raisons all the time irrelavent of being ill?
Is it because she/brain knows she needs a supplement?
Or is her body confused?
Or is she being fussy and would rather eat poo than eat more hay?

Last time she did stop eating raisons and fingers crossed she will do same again over time!:roll:

Last edited:
eww ;)

how many is she eating?

I find sorrel does this but only occasionally - i posted about it a while back i think and people said it wasnt owt to worry about but i guess it depends how much she does it?

hope someone else has a better answer, just bumping your thread up for you really ;)

I would really like to know this as well, as Miffy is eating his poos now as well as his caecotrophs, it does worry me a bit as he is poorly just now with Sludgy Bladder and a lump has just been removed from his shoulder. (we are praying its benign..)

my last foster rabbit Mistletoe used to eat hers all the time too. She had teeth problems and wouldn't eat hay so i think when her food bowl was empty she would eat them instead. She seemed very healthy though and did lots of very good sized round poos so i wasn't worried about her.

Has your bunny had it's teeth checked recently?

Bobbin had a period when he did this quite often too. Any that he found outside of the litter tray would get gobbled up :shock:

I haven't seen him do it for a while now, perhaps they just have weird moments and then forget about it! :lol:

Jen ate one of Frankie's once, minutes after it was produced. He looked mortified :lol:

Fingers crossed that Bunnie realises that hay is tastier than poo again soon :)

Nuggette does this occasionally, both hers and Otis's normal poos, but she just spits them out again as if to say "Eurgh, bad idea, wrong type of poop!"
Silly bunny.

My Bob has been known to eat his 'normal' poos too..... usually when I'm trying to clear them away, and particularly off the sofa, like he wants to eat them so I cant throw them in the bin! :lol:

Bunnie has had teeth checked and she got a sticker for perfect teeth!

She always does this, well twice now after stasis it's as though she doesn't want to eat hay so eats poo's, as when she has had her pellets or veg and then poos she doesn't eat them, but when should be eating hay in between meals, she favours her poo especially during the day and in middle of the night!

She is increasing her hay eating everyday but just wondered if it can make them ill and whether we should take them away from her when we can but we are bit worried to do this as think it's better she is eating poo than nothing at all until her dinner or brekkie, as needs stuff going in her tum especially as her gut stopped on thursday and is recovering!:)

Awww I can't imagine that it can be overly bad for them, after all it's only digested food that they've eaten once already! And we all know they do that anyway! :rolleyes: I guess there's just more fiber in the normal poos and more protein in the cecals.

Does she eat them out of the litter tray or just ones that have escaped elsewhere?

Awww I can't imagine that it can be overly bad for them, after all it's only digested food that they've eaten once already! And we all know they do that anyway! :rolleyes: I guess there's just more fiber in the normal poos and more protein in the cecals.

Does she eat them out of the litter tray or just ones that have escaped elsewhere?

:wave: Thea,

She eats the ones in her litter tray and like last time has come away from vet hospital loseing a bit of her poo litter training, she sits in her crate or on carpet does her poos and then eats them straight away, I think she doesn't want to do them in her litter tray at the mo all the time as she doesn't want the taste of any pee on them !:roll:

Back