• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oxbow Bunny Basics T. How much to feed?

CRBevis

Mama Doe
We are going to wean Bunnie off Excel over to Bunny Basics T.

She is a Mini Lop,neutered and will be 3 on the 15th August and is a bit more boney than usual due to stasis last week!

Bunnie weighs approx 2.20kg which is 4.85lbs

The bag says for for weights of 4 - 7 lb feed 1/4 - 1/3 of a cup!

Is 1/4 cup (one of those cup measuring spoons) which equates to 1 ounce in weight enough for Bunnie or is it too much?:)

Last edited:
According to my measuring jug 1/4cup is about 2oz. I would feed the1/4 rather than the 1/3!

Hope this helps.
Vanessa xx

According to my measuring jug 1/4cup is about 2oz. I would feed the1/4 rather than the 1/3!

Hope this helps.
Vanessa xx

Well the digital scales we have are a bit finiky I think!

Don't like digital scales as they can never make up their mind!

1/4 of a cup thats what I thought so she eats more hay and doesn't get fat!:)

PS Have just checked in my muffin recipe book which is American!

It agrees with my jug :D

1/4cup = 2 ounces BUT the weight varies depending on the substance! :(

Americans measure by volume so the actual equivalent is

1 cup = 8 fluid ounces

I use an espresso cup which holds one fluid ounce so I know that our buns are getting 1/8th of a cup! I think if you measure this out yourself you will find 1/4 cup is nearer 1oz, so your original guesstimate is probably spot on!

Vanessa xx

Last edited:
PS Have just checked in my muffin recipe book which is American!

It agrees with my jug :D

1/4cup = 2 ounces (for sugar!)

Americans measure by volume so the actual equivalent is

1 cup = 8 fluid ounces

I use an espresso cup which holds one fluid ounce so I know that our buns are getting 1/8th of a cup!

Vanessa xx

I'm using one of those measuring spoons that gives it in mls or cup equivilent!

I take it you feed oxbow bunny basics T aswell?:)

Ooh just cross posted - I have revised my opinion on what a cup is - see above!

Yes, we do use the Bunny Basics!

Our three are doing very well on it!

Vanessa xx

Ours all weigh in at under 2kg so I give them the 1/8 cup ration each. I guess the amount they get/eat varies as they share feeding bowls and don't always eat all the pellets straight away.

They seem healthy enough with the Oxbow - the vet commented on how well they look at the myxi jab session last week - and we certainly have no poopy bottoms. I certainly can recommend the Bunny Basics and hope that Bunnie likes it after the Excel.

Good luck,
Vanessa xx

Back