• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bernie rather stay hungry than eating hay

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
Alright, Bernie has his 3rd teeth removed on March 1. Since then his teeth is healthy. The problem was, when he came back to the house, because his snuffle is caused by dental, I go thru the sequence of "tempting" his diet back to normal.

As we all know, the sequence is:

1) treat
2) greens
3) pellets
4) hay

So he started eating treats on his own, then I hand feed him some green, and as of March 11, he eat the pellet on his own, as well as green, some hay and treats.

Since the re-check shows his teeth is normal, I remove the "tempted" portion of the pellet, and just gave him the normal amount.

So just like my other bunny Monty who passed away, he would eat the pellet and clean it up around midnight (pellet was re-new around 7 pm), and the bowl would be empty until 7 pm the next night.

With Monty, he would eat the hay for the rest of the day, but w/ Bernie, he wouldn't eat the hay unless I hold him and handfeed him the hay.

And there is no bunny poos in the afternoon because he eat nothing.

The even bigger problem is, because he has some potential of future dental problem, he need to eat the hay, so I don't know what to do.

Can you try fresh pulled grass? If he eats this you could then slowly mix some hay into the grass. Initially start with 100% grass, then 90% grass and 10% hay, then 80% grass and 20% hay and so on until its 90% hay and 10% grass.

Or add tasty herbs into the hay such as rosemary, lavender, basil, parsley etc. Chop them up and put long stalks in too to 'flavour' the hay.

I'll go w/ your 2nd idea, where about did you guys get those herb?

I can't go w/ the 1st idea, as the grass is yellow over here, it would be green by May though

Does your local supermarket sell them? Over here you can get them from supermarkets, farm shops, garden centres. Either cut fresh in bags or pots of fresh and just pluck what you need :)
You could also grow grass inside in a littertray, maybe?

Back