• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chocolate!! :(

Deelove

Wise Old Thumper
My two monsters have tried to canabalise the easter egg rabbit my mum gave me. It was on the mantle peice but Pepe must have knocked it off, I came in the room and they have eaten the bum. (and the packaging)

I'm really worried they have poisoned themselves. On call vet says to keep an eye on them.

Anyone know how much chocolate an animal can eat before getting poorly?

I know with dogs that it can prove fatal, but a rabbit we had years ago once got into a box of chocs and nibbled the top off a whole layer.
Luckily he was OK, but I'd keep a very close eye on them.
Hope they will be OK, and naughty bunnies:no::no::no:

My foster bunny ate half a packet of herbal tablets :shock::shock: On call vet gave me the same advice, oh boy the tummy was soon gurgling away:shock:

I have heard of rabbits helping themselves to chocolate and coming through just fine.

Years ago before people knew that dogs couldn't eat chocolate, we had a dog who was a real sweetie fiend. He once landed heir to a box of dairy milk that my mother-in-law bought but found that the chocolate had gone a bit white. So she fed it to my dog, chocolate by chocolate. He loved her so much after that that he used to go and visit her - just in case! He also used to site in front of the ice-cream van and used to be given a Fudge or a Milky Way, then we would get charged for it!!!!

Annie is a total fiend for chocolate. Ages ago I found her chomping on my choccie bar that I stupidly left on the coffee table - never do that again!! I kept an eye on her throughout the night and she was fine. Just make sure to keep watching them and that they are drinking water etc. Fingers and paws crossed for you x:)

I think they can have a bit of chocolate without too much ill effect but if it's more that say a chunk of dairy milk you need to keep an eye on them as it is much more fatty than any foot they would normally eat and could cause a big upset. I might stick them on hay only for a day with maybe some high fibre strawberry or blackberry leaves if you have them in the garden.

Best keep and eye on them and get them eating lots of hay. I had a rabbit eat nearly a whole 250g bar of dairy milk once, he was fine, just a bit porky! :lol:

I also had a dog who ate 6 selection boxes and a tin of roses, he was fine, but the only time I'd ever seen him look fat (he's a lurcher) bearing in mind he also ate 2 loaves of bred, a christmas pudding, half a turkey and a bowl of stuffing and heaven knows what else! Dark chocolate is what to watch out for in dogs, plus it depends on how big a dog they are. Not sure about rabbits.

Well they seem to be fine, they ate lots of hay last night and I gave them some dried strawberry leaves (as they get that anyway) Little buggars are frantically searching for more. :rolleyes:

Annie is a total fiend for chocolate. Ages ago I found her chomping on my choccie bar that I stupidly left on the coffee table - never do that again!! I kept an eye on her throughout the night and she was fine. Just make sure to keep watching them and that they are drinking water etc. Fingers and paws crossed for you x:)

My Mona did exactly the same thing. And once I went out to see her after eating some chocolate. Big mistake! She grunted at me and threw a strop.:lol:

Well they seem to be fine, they ate lots of hay last night and I gave them some dried strawberry leaves (as they get that anyway) Little buggars are frantically searching for more. :rolleyes:

Glad to hear there are no lasting effects except maybe a constant chocolate craving :lol:

Glad to hear there are no lasting effects except maybe a constant chocolate craving :lol:

:lol: It's quite funny really, they've eaten the bum so it looks like that funny image of the two chocolate rabbits. I'm tempted to eat it's ears now. I've been really good about not eating it too, my mum always gets things way too early.

I had a right go at my other half for not watching them (I was in the shower) and said if they got ill it was his fault. :oops: Despite the fact that we often leave them on their own.

I remember not long after we got Grace I was eating a big bar of chocolate - Im fat and I dont care LOL - and saw her trying to run off with said choclate by grabing the wrapper and pulling it behind her - She didnt eat any thank goodness

i have had willow eat a top tray of chocs in a box..not even a soft poo!!
Shes raied the worktop as she can reach it on hind legs.shes so damned tall! weve had her eat half a box of rice crispies..a box of wetabix....haribo mix pinballs....hot cros buns..stale bread put aside for birds..she loves the crust of brown organic loaves and french bread the monster....
why do buns go nuts for choc if theyve been given it..is it an inbuilt thing?
our first doe raided the bags of shopping as i closed our front door..she vanished behind the bed settee with a pack of snack sized mas bars..we tried brooms all sorts to get her out..we finally moved the heavy seteea few inches and grabbed the pack without losing fingers..but shed already eatn 3/4 of one complete with wrapper!!!

our vet siad he didnt know why willow hadnt even got an upset gut let alone died of theobromine poisoning.....we think shes got a goats gut..she sure climbs like one:lol::lol:

Back