• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

old bunny help

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
Hi i have a netherland dwarf boarding with me til thursday, hes beautiful, hes eight years old. he has been a trio since he was a baby, but his 2 siblings past away 2 months and 1 month ago....

they dont want to get another bunny understandably because they r all relatd they fear he may not have long left. Thing is, while hes with me, all hes doing is sitting still staring. he looks soooo lonely and sad.
I have given him a teddy n hes snuggling up to it,

is there anythign else i can do?

while he is with you lots of cuddles - but personally I would ask the owners to think about the possiblity of getting another one or two rabbits. One if they felt he may last longer than his siblings (they could always adopt an elder bun) - 2 if they feel that he would bond again as a trio and they would then not be left again with a sole bunny if he does pass away.

It's so sad when there is only one left in a group, but unfortunately there always comes a time when there is only one left.

Would it be possible to convince his owners to bring him inside as a house rabbit for his remaining time if he is not one already. At least this way he will have someone around him most of the time. Also my main concern would be him getting cold at night if he was use to snuggling up with his mates. Again bringing him inside would keep him warm too :)

he lives in a heated shed, his owner is abroad until next month, she didnt want to leave her thre bunnies but had 2 for 2 months and the poor girl has lost 2 whilst shes been away :(:( shes so sad, her parents have gone 2 visit her and thats why hes staying with me.

i just went out there n had him on my lap n he fell asleep on my lap n was making little grunty noises. :love: i adore him!!

A bunny who has lived in the company of other rabbits for so long will pine if he's alone. :(

The owners will either need to bring him indoors as a house bunny or get him a new friend.

Alternatively they could always rehome him to somebody who has an elderly female rabbit needing company.

Just because he's 8 years old, it doesn't mean he hasn't got long left...he could live to 12 or even older.

Amy

Maybe they could ask a rescue about long term fostering?
That way he will have the company until he passes away, the rescue will have an extra hutch available for another needy bun and then if they don't want to continue keeping buns they can return the foster bun back to the rescue to be paired up with another at the rescue.

Back