• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch without floor

Maxy123

Young Bun
:wave: The new hutch has no floor and the garden is purely pebbles with the odd paving slab.
Just wondering if we built a wooden platform to put the hutch on, what kind of floor would we put on top of that? We tried lino a while ago but they chewed it all :lol:

By hutch do you mean the run part or the actual hutch part?
It sounds odd to have a hutch with no bottom but maybe I misunderstand :oops: Surely you can just put the run just on anything. Mine is partially on slabs, but that helps wear their claws down.

i bought some big wood chipboard panels from B&Q, as one of my large hutches is like this. The only prob with these ones is that they let the damp in from the ground. So you need to put it in a really dry spot well sheltered. I would use at least two boards underneath, topped with many layers of newspaper then whatever bedding you use.

In the last place we lived, there was no such thing as a dry spot and in the heavy rains i was changing the bedding ans newspaper daily, which is a complete pain in the pitch dark, but I couldnt bear my boys not being cosy! Even thenm, when we lifted the board up to dry they were black with mould, so putting them in a dry spot is essential.

They are in a dry spot in new garden and we never experience wet bedding now. Also, the scratch and newton hutch cover is pulled out on a slope at the back so the rain runs down it and not near their hutch.:wave:

Hope you find this useful.

^ Ah brilliant thanks :D I will head down to B&Q and get some chipboard asap. Can't wait for them to move in :lol:
I'll have to keep it under the trees to avoid the dampness, and i'm building a platform thing so that its not on the ground.

I might get some vet bed to put on top of the chipboard so they're cosy.

I've got a triangular hutch and run combo, and the hutch orginally had no floor in...so I screwed a piece of plywood to the bottom and raised it up a couple of inches off the ground with a couple of chunky pieces of wood.

Back