• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

best litter to use to absorb wee smell

so they clay and clumping litter are not supposed to be used.

I have heard several different things. yesterday's news, pine shavings, just Hay. Or a combination of things. What works best for you guys?

I just use a few pages of newspaper with hay on top. I change it everyday and find that it doesn't smell :D

Hia, I've been using wood based pellets. They're great for not smelling and they're heavy enough not to be spread round the house. I used to use megazorb and found it all over the place where Millie would jump out of her litter tray and in doing so kick loads of it onto the floor. Hope this helps :)

I use Ambiose (large bales horse bedding made of hemp) on top of paper. Really good and nice smell....and mine are indoor buns

I used the compresses wood pellets, but found it broke into dust and then they traipsed it through the house. I use Tesco hygeine litter now. It absorbs smells, and is white and not at all dusty.
I had read that they can be prone to eat litter but Nigel has never tried.

i put newspaper...a thin layer of sawdust to absorb then hay...mine only poo on hay?and change it ever other day...a quick wipe over and it never smells!

I use Megazorb with a layer of newspaper and hay on top. I change the newspaper and hay twice a day and the Megazorb every third day. I never notice a smell:)

I didn't like megazorb I found it got walked all over the place. I now use Hemcore and hay and even my two indoor frenchies dont smell.

From my own experience with bonding rabbits, I have found some rabbits also have a particular smell as a result of the pellets they are eating. After a couple of hours of having rabbits who are on Excel indoors I would be able to tell that they are on that brand of food. I find that SS and Bunny Basics has a less odourous smell.

Back