• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

oh my god is this snuffles please help!!need advice quick

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi people-hope someone can help me!!
i noticed saturday just gone that my new continental giant doe pashia( which ive had for 9 days) had a few sneezes that day in her run. i put it down to that she had plucked loads of her fur out and made a nest as previous breeder says she has come into her natural season? and needs to see a buck apparently. so at 1st i thought the fur which was all round her hutch had gotten up her nose and had irrated her. later that afternoon i looked up her nose and see on one nostril there is stringy white stuff but only a tiny bit. i have had rabbits who have had snuffles before years ago and the mucus they had was thick and white and came right down out of the nose.
im wondering if this is the start of snuffles, as if it is, i cant obviously keep her , as i am a hobby breeder of mini rex rabbits . havent taken her to the vets yet as ive been told by other people that even if it was snuffles-you cant properly treat it as its incurable and they become carriers and the vet wouldnt know if it was snuffles anyway? the advice from other hobby breeders is to get her off my premises (she is round the other side of my house-and not in my mini rex block- although all my rabbits share the pens ) as soon as possible for the sake of my mini rex, some of which have new babies.my mini rex mean the world to me -cannot lose them we have travelled hundreads of miles for my mini rex-done 500 hundread miles on sunday for a stud buck !!
so i am confused what to do
please some one help im tearing my hair out!!!!

It does sound like pasteurellosis to me. I would get her to a vet straight away and take it from there.

I haven't had a lot of experience with this myself but I'm pretty sure that there is treatment available although may need to be long term.

I would keep her away from your other bunnies as if it is pasteurellosis and especially if she is sneezing it can be passed on to your other rabbits

if it is snuffles it can be treated with antibiotics, though the rabbit will always be a carrier, but all rabbits carry pasturella to a certain degree, so in my opinion i would take your rabbit to a vet.

Yes i would keep her quaranteened from your other rabbits, perhaps keep her in a different area but i do feel it`s a bit harsh to say you have to get her off your property asap!:shock:
sorry but i also find it sad that you say you love your mini rexes more than anything but this poor lady obviously means nothing to you:( Doesn`t she deserve to be loved too?

Su.

I have also posted today about my rabbit with snuffles and I too was shocked by your attitude to a living creature.

Your rabbit needs to see a vet asap. Leaving the disease can mean that it can quickly develop into a fatal one. Antibiotic treatment in the early stages is the only option.

I'd advise you to hand her in to an experienced rescue (along with a donation) who will be able to quarantine her and get her the vet treament that she needs... not to mention the love and care.

your attitude is unbelievable, let someone who will love her take over her responsibility if you are not prepared to.
Sally

I am taking from your post that you are willing to "give up" one rabbit to save many - okay, I see the logic in that. But in getting this rabbit you take on responsibility for it's welfare and though I hate to sound as though I'm "having a go" you need do just that and seek a vet asap. I would be very reluctant to "take the word" of anyone but a vet with regards to what a vet can/can't do.

I am sure that you do care for your rabbits and that you are in a bit of a panic at the moment at the thought of ALL your buns becoming ill...but other forum members are correct in what they say: This little lady needs your help - not only needs it, deserves it too.

WISHING YOU THE VERY BEST WITH THE OUTCOME OF THIS.

TP

hi people-hope someone can help me!!
i noticed saturday just gone that my new continental giant doe pashia( which ive had for 9 days) had a few sneezes that day in her run. i put it down to that she had plucked loads of her fur out and made a nest as previous breeder says she has come into her natural season? and needs to see a buck apparently. so at 1st i thought the fur which was all round her hutch had gotten up her nose and had irrated her. later that afternoon i looked up her nose and see on one nostril there is stringy white stuff but only a tiny bit. i have had rabbits who have had snuffles before years ago and the mucus they had was thick and white and came right down out of the nose.
im wondering if this is the start of snuffles, as if it is, i cant obviously keep her , as i am a hobby breeder of mini rex rabbits . havent taken her to the vets yet as ive been told by other people that even if it was snuffles-you cant properly treat it as its incurable and they become carriers and the vet wouldnt know if it was snuffles anyway? the advice from other hobby breeders is to get her off my premises (she is round the other side of my house-and not in my mini rex block- although all my rabbits share the pens ) as soon as possible for the sake of my mini rex, some of which have new babies.my mini rex mean the world to me -cannot lose them we have travelled hundreads of miles for my mini rex-done 500 hundread miles on sunday for a stud buck !!
so i am confused what to do
please some one help im tearing my hair out!!!!

I am sorry you have a seemingly unwell Rabbit and that it prooves to put your other 'stock' at risk. You are, however *legally* responsible for seeking appropriate Veterinary Care for the sick Rabbit ASAP. Not to do so is not only cruel but also an offence liable to prosecution.
I would advise you to contact your Vet and obtain treatment for the sick Rabbit. You could ask the Vet if they are aware of any Rescues in your area who may be able to take the Conti from you.

I must say I find this thread both upsetting and infuriating. I hope all your Rabbits will be OK, they are all that are of importance

Jane

Let's keep it calm please. This member is asking for advice not a tirade.

Thanks
Tamsin

I have a good vet and I am also relatively near you as I'm in Essex. I can take her if she needs a home. She will get a house to live in and a male bun to keep her company. My husband will probably (definitely) kill me, but better that than the other option.:(

I have a good vet and I am also relatively near you as I'm in Essex. I can take her if she needs a home. She will get a house to live in and a male bun to keep her company. My husband will probably (definitely) kill me, but better that than the other option.:(

Thats a fantastic offer hopefully she will take you up on it:D
Sallyx

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm a tad dim on this...say the OP gets vetinary advice and rabbit responds to anibiotics? Will she always then pose a threat to the other buns even though she's been treated? Would the OP NEED rehome her if the vet gives treatment is what I'm basically asking...

Thanks,

TP;)

Snuffles is contagious so it would be irresponsible for a breeder to let that bun near their other rabbits. Remember a breeder will be taking rabbits to/from shows so it's not like your pets where any possible contagion is just confined to rabbits at your home.

Treating pastruella can often get rid of the symptoms but there is a risk that it will come back later so for the above reason it's not a good idea for a breeder to have a rabbit with it where it could cross infect other rabbits in future.

That's why it's important new rabbits are quarantined. It's great you have her separate but make sure they don't share exercise pens either.

Siona - If you took him you'd need to keep him totally separate from your other rabbit at least until after given the all clear by a vet and be aware of the possible reoccurrence even if treatment is successful.

No problem. Can I just confirm a couple of things..... Is she spayed? Is she a she? :lol:
Will you get her treated asap before moving her? How old is she? Also, is there a snuffles vaccination?
Mine have had Myxi and VHD(?) but no others.

Ahh right. Thanks Tamsin. It doesn't sound too good to me - and I take it that there is no way of protecting your buns against it before they develop "snuffles" either???:(

TP

No, there is no vaccination.

Pastruella is really common in rabbits it's usually the same bug that causes abscesses. It often seems to catch them when there are under the weather or stressed e.g. moving home.

Btw, you should also notify the person you brought her from. They should be aware they could have a potential problem.

Okay, so (sorry for endless questions!) say I moved home in the future/something else caused one of my buns to develop "snuffles" - would I be correct in thinking that bun one would very probably make the other bun develop "snuffles" too and then they would be prone to "rebouts" for...always???:(:(:(

OP - I am thinking that you need seek a vet asap and then very much look at re-homing as suggested...but all the best with it.

TP

you also shouldnt show or sell any buns for 8wks as this is the incubation period for it so as not to contaminate other breeders rabbits. just because the bun has not been near your rexs does not mean the infection can not spread across to them it can travel on clothes, equipment, your hands, in the air all differnt ways there are 3 dissenfectints that kill it Jeyes fluid(diluted of course), formular H,V18(contain iodine so stains hutchs quite well).

I have taken on lots of buns who have had pasturella, some of them really badly and it has affected them via nose, eyes, ears and the abscesses - but never, ever has one passed on the pasturella to another bun:?
Mine are all in close proximity and live in the same rooms etc. Rhia was our worse pasturella bun but she lived in a room with 8 other buns and was out on the grass when she was able to. She lived with pasturella for over four years and not another bun was infected from her.
I would *never* get rid of a bun just because of pasturella:( It can't be cured but it can be controlled.
If you breed buns then you should already know a lot of these things:?

Oh and a bun never comes into season:?

The stress from the move could have just messed her immune system up and it may not even be pasturella:?

Poor bun :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back