• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Seed or turf

toadflaxbex

Warren Scout
I am in the process of building a run stroke adventure area for my buns (actually stealing someone elses designs from here!) and I am doing a small grass area. I noticed someone in another thread warned off using turf... so my question is what is best turf or seed? baring in mind I want it sooner rather than later but then again safer is more important. If I can use turf what do you suggest I look for or do you know of anywhere I can get some that is safe?

No idea why you should not use turf. I use turf all the time. You may want to double check with the turf suppliers whther/when it has had any herbicide put on it. I have never had any problems and re-turf all the time!! (practically weekly).

If speed is the order of the day, then turf it every time. It is already established grass so it will cope with grazing quicker than seed. I would however echo what's been said about any treatments it's had and also maybe worth checking what type of grass it is ( most domestic gardens stick with tough hard wearing rye based grass ) but you could just check, so you don't buy bowling green stuff!:lol:

If speed is the order of the day, then turf it every time. It is already established grass so it will cope with grazing quicker than seed. I would however echo what's been said about any treatments it's had and also maybe worth checking what type of grass it is ( most domestic gardens stick with tough hard wearing ry

A ha I was looking at ryegrass seed earlier today as the O/H said it grows quickly but wasn't sure what it was (is a bit think) and some seeds state thay don't contain Ryegrass so was wondering wth it was.

Speed isn't a HUGE deal as atm they are on a small patch of grass but it is slowly going down to nothing, and I am in the process of moving the run on the grass to another area but that is fairly bare, so need to put some more down.

We are building a run attached to the shed, so they will have access to that until turf is laid or the seeds have grown.

I guess if I seed it I KNOW nothing bad has been used that could harm them as a lot of fertilisers state to keep away from pets. Hmmm

seed will take a good 4-6 weeks to get established enough for buns to go on it at this time of year. Turf will probably take 3 weeks to get a good root system down but as stated before it might have herbicides on it so could be less good for the buns.

Back