• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm a "Bun Mum" at last!!

Teepee

Mama Doe
Hi all!!:wave:

I was meant to pick up my 2 buns this morning but I asked the lady if I could get them yesterday lunchtime as I had the car (didn't want to wait all day today for OH to come back from work as I'm an excited child!!:lol:)

SOOO much to tell you:

I *think* that they are 2 girls - certainly the "bits that pop up" have a slit rather than a round "dot" and according to internet reading/pics that indicates that they are girls (???)

Clover (the white one with grey nose) seems the more confident of the 2 - Sage (grey with brown bits) content to follow her around like a little shadow.

I put them in their (now indoors) hutch on arrival and "left them to it" to settle in. I HAD expected them to all hide away being away from Mum but it didn't take long for (MOST excited!) Clover to come hopping out of the nesting box bit (with Sage close on her heels) and start "investigating" her new home. I was most amused by the way they played with an empty loo roll - throwing it about like a dog with a stick!!:D

They kept coming to the door of the hutch if they thought you were near which also amused me as they seem very curious indeed!
At about 9pm (when the girls were in bed and it was quieter) I did a very naughty thing :)oops:), I opened the hutch door a little and when they both came hopping to me I took them into my lounge and let them have a little run on my sofa! I sat one end (I didn't want them falling off!) and confident little Clover came and climbed onto my lap. Sage snuggled against my leg (following Clover as ever!) and they had a hand each stroking them between the ears.:oops::oops::oops:

They seemed to settle and looked all the world as though they were going to fall asleep when Clover started doing a VERY odd thing! She started all grinding her teeth!!:shock: I took this to mean that she had had enough of "between the ears" stroking when she was tired and popped them back into the hutch...

They came hopping out of their bed when I went to make coffee this morning and are now both lying in the "living area" of hutch with little legs sticking out behind them (thinking they are glad of the extra room having had to share last hutch with Mum + brothers/sisters):lol:. I promise not to handle them again today - I got "told off" by the teeth grinding last night!!:oops:

I took a picture (but only one as the camera on OH's mobile has an automatic flash and I didn't want to scare them) and I now have it in "pictures" on my PC...how do I get it from there to forum? I don't have "photobucket" (as mentioned in the tutorial in FAQ).:(

All the best,

TP;)

uum i am always a little nervous about giving advice, but i think that actually that grinding means that your little bun is a HAPPY girly!
I think there are two types of teeth grinding, a gentle sort of munching grinding (i am going by my buns here) that means happiness and contentment, and then a harsh loud scraping grind, this isn't good, means bun is in pain! I am just going by what i have read, but from the sounds of it you don't have much to worry about, she was just telling you she like her head rub! What a sweetie!!! x

:shock:Well, I never knew that!!!:shock:

I just figured that she was "fed up" of head rub as she looked as though she was about to fall asleep!!:lol:

TP;)

:shock:Well, I never knew that!!!:shock:

I just figured that she was "fed up" of head rub as she looked as though she was about to fall asleep!!:lol:

TP;)

that means shes happy... if she trusts you to fall asleep with you thats really good x

sounds like you are in luuuuurve :lol: and yes the tooth grinding is a happy contented thing, unless they're hunched up in a corner looking miserable, in which case it indicates pain. They sound like lovely bunnies so good luck with them :D Can't you open an account with photobucket?

I think that I am lucky in that they are used to being handled by the lady's little girl and (it appears!) maybe they seek human attention as a result.

I am "chuffed to bits" that the grinding thing meant she was happy - I got a tad concerned that she was getting "grouchy" because I was doing it as she tried to fall asleep and (for fear that she may nip me if I continued head-rub when she'd made that noise!) I popped them back in hutch. Wish I hadn't now - bless her, I cut her head-rub short!!:roll:

I will investigate this photobucket thing but I am STUPID with I.T.:(...does anyone have this already and willing to post photo for me if I send it them via e-mail?

Would really love you all to see my little buns and (from the picture!) you can SO see which of the two will be trouble!!!:lol:

TP;)

Another indicator of girliness is if you feel down wither side of her tummy for teats. Although the can't be detected at a very young age. How old are your girls? Some pics would be fab.:D

just go to photobucket, click 'join now' - make up a username and password, and that's it :)

when you have an account click the 'browse' button (there's 3 in a row next to the upload button) go to your pictures, double click on what you want to upload, then in photobucket click upload - but first make sure your picture is small enough!!!

making a photo small is really easy in basic 'paint' on your computer, just click 'edit, 'paste from', then select the photo - then go to 'Image', click 'resize' and make the values smaller % - for instance my camera photos are 75cm wide - I just reduce the value to 20% and get approx a 10cm photo - perfect for photobucket and forums :D

If you manage all that you will see 4 linking addresses under each photo you've uploaded - right click on the 4th one, click 'copy' then come to RU and click 'paste' in your post - you can click 'preview post' to see if it's worked OK :)

Aww what a lovely story, sounds like they're very happy girlies indeed!

I have no experience on sexing rabbits but when they're old enough I'm sure a vet would properly sex them for you.

Uploading is simple as Elve has explained above but I would be willing to post it for you if you really wanted. :)

Buns.jpg

Cute buns TP!!! Bless them :D :love:

I have sent my pic to RusselRocky as I really am not clever with anything much computer related...I am thinking the flash scared them but while one "peeps" in not amused manner the other stands "on guard"!...GUESS which will be trouble when bigger and allowed "free run"!!;)

TP

ETA: It's here already!!!:D Thanks RusselRocky!!!:D:D:D

ETA again: They are 8 weeks Fifibutton...and quite confident considering so young.:)

^^^:lol:^^^

I had to wait a while for them to stop "dancing" up and down my sofa for this "school photo" moment!

TP;)

Aww, you are lucky to have such sweet affectionate girls!!! Are you sure they don't want to live indoors? They look like they want to give lots of hugs!

They are indoors applebed:D. They WERE going to be ouside buns but I changed my mind about that as I'd like them to have free-run of the house long term...short term this will be only my kitchen and ajoining hallway that has laminate flooring (no wee stains on my carpet please!???!) I have brought my ouside hutch indoors and will gradually increase their area until it is okay to let them run free in these rooms.

They are cute aren't they?? Worth the looong wait!! I am a very PROUD Bun-Mum!!!:D

TP;)

Sorry Kenno, missed your post there (thanks for offer in uploading pic by the way!:D) - yes, I intend getting a "second opinion" on sexing them but am pretty confident in my "peeping at bits/comparing to onscreen pics" method in my guess of 2 girls...will see how well I "peeped and compared" in due course.:lol:

They have stopped lying out with little legs poking out behind them now - just went to make another coffee (addict as I am!) and they are now skipping about hutch/loo roll throwing again!!!:lol::lol::lol:

TP;)

aw thats lovely..i like u was too impatient and couldnt stop cuddling mine...grinding if defo happy so thats great!
im sure very soon u will be besotted like me n ur other half will be saying...'ur spending more time on them buns than me'...true!

Back