• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! Advice needed on bonding buns!

Stevie b

Warren Scout
Hello!
I am here to seek advice on bonding my bunnies as the advice all over the web (although abundant) is a littel too broad and doesn't help me!

Here is the background. In Jan 07 I got my first bunny, she is a dwarf lop called Miffy and is the first rabbit i have ever owned. 5 months later in early May, i got my second Bun, another female, in the belief that i would be able to easily bond them and that it would be very nice for Miff to have a bunny friend. I am the first to admit in making the school boy error of not researching bonding methods or tips before purchasing a second bun. Had i done this, i would have taken Miff with me to pick her own friend! So anyway i read the advice available after bringing Millie home, got them both spayed and waited for them to heal to be ready to start the bonding. This was now the end of Aug 07. Well, it did not go well. Immediate aggressive fighting so i seperated them... I decided there may still be hormones affecting them and so waited a few more weeks before another attempt.

By this time I had got to know my girls' characters very well. Miffy is a very friendly curious and relatively calm bunny, however, she is sneaky as when in the same space as Millie she will sit still and when Mille approaches her she will suddenly go to nip her. Millie, who is a much more nervous bun, will then react defensively by attacking Miffy. She is just so flinchy and nervous any move Miffy makes Mill thinks she is going to attack her and so attacks first! (Sorry it is so confusing)
The last time i tried, i was using a large window sill in my bedroom (neutral space) putting them both on it and observing them, water spray bottle and towel in hand. Each would sit at either end of the sill and just sit there. Then Millie would approach miffy and the situation described above would happen! So i would return Millie to her side of the sill and start over. I was doing this for about 15 mins three times a day, for just over a week. After seeing no progress, and nearly a massive fight i stopped. Did I give up too soon?

I feel that Millie's nervous nature is a hurdle that once jumped, will allow a break through, i am not ready to give up on them yet! However, i am also prepared to accept that they may never get on. I have theire cages right alongside each other, so they are next to each other everyday....arrrgh it is so confusing! I really don't want them to hurt each other (or me!) so am now aprehensive about putting them together again,

Any advice from those who have bonded to girls would be much appreciated!

Janice, our bonding expert, prefers to keep two rabbits together after introducing them, and not let them meet for a few minutes and then separate them again. They need time to work out who's boss. Small neutral territory, water bottle or broom in hand, but don't interfere too much. Only separate them, if there is very aggressive fighting and blood. Choose a time when you have a few days and nights to watch them. Or maybe you have a rescue near you who could help you withe the bonding.
Oh, and in difficult cases Janice sometimes rubs some apple sauce (or you could use mashed banana) on the bunnies' foreheads, to encourage grooming. :D

are they spayed?

bonding girls is harder. i personally didn't accomplish it with two buns that had been together previously.

x

I think a windowsill is problematic as they will fall off and hurt themselves if chasing and nipping starts - and if you intervene to stop them falling, they will never sort out the hierarchy by chasing and nipping, which is what they do. I would try a bathroom or shed - somewhere smallish, neutral, where they can be left together for a few days with you sleeping nearby - you will need to take a few days out to supervise them too so stock up on magazines :)

i am up for the carrier method however i worry that putting them in a carrier together will result in a rabbit rumble. Have you done this before? I was thinking i could get my partner to drive the car and i sit on the back seat with the buns in order to referee should any fighting occur. Mind you, they both get pretty scared in the car :cry:

the problem i am having is that i live in quite a small flat and each bun has taken it apon themselves to explore the majority of it. My mum is more that happy for me to take them to her house. Do you think i should just pop them in a small room there and keep them there for ages while i supervise? Do you reckon it is best to do it with no breaks, just separate them if they fight?

Back