• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

stroppy rabbit?!

jasonbunny

Warren Scout
The past couple of nights i have shut jasons cage, he seems to have a strop in disgust! He goes straight up to his wooden toy thats clipped on to his cage and scabbles at it with his paws (he never bothers with it except at his time) and carries on scrabbling at it for about 5 mins. His cage is open from 7am when my toddlers get up till around 12 am at night when hubs and i go to bed, so a good 90% of the time he can do as he chooses, but i still feel guilty that he gets upset when i shut it. Do rabbits normally do this sort of thing?

he isnt neutered, i am taking him soon, though i have only had him 5 days.

This is him in his cage, its not the biggest but the rescue centre said it would be fine for him if he was out most of the day.

hmmm that cage is quite small, how old is he at the mo? If he is is full grown then it will probs be ok, but if he is still growing, when he gets full grown he might find it too squished even if he is only in there for a few hours in the night. I have the bigger version of that cage for my bun, it is twice as long i think.

it depends, one of my bunnies is a dwarf lop, she is 15 months old and i think she is now fully grown. She is pretty big, I don't think she would fit in your bun's house. Do you know what breed he is? He is very cute, by the way.:D

stevieb1086

ok am new to all this but this is an attempt to put a pic of my buns's houses on here for you to see! Hope it works! x

Last edited:
well the rescue didnt know, and i thought he was a dwarf lop but the vet disagreed, he just said he didnt look like one, and when i asked what he thougt he was then, he vet just said: a lop eared rabbit. :roll: :lol:

He fits in the house vey comfortably. It was suggested to me that i take it out to give him room to stretch out, but i dont really want to as he really enjoys it and goes in there over night, pluse he stretched out across his vet bed or out on the floor in my lounge.

Someone recently pointed out that i have his hay rack the wrong way round :oops: and should be on the outside of the cage, so he can pull the hay through the bars...that will save me constantly wasting hay trying to keep it topped up high enough for him to reach :lol:

id recommend investing in a large go crate, just incase... although if its only a base, it should be fine x

in my opinion anyway x

once neutered he should calm down.

x

here is yours stevie:

DSCF2320.jpg
What a cute bun!

is that the cage you say is the same make as mine but bigger? love the tunnel outside too!

waaay!!! Thankyou for that! She is a looker isn't she. I love her! (And the little terror behind too) x

yes the one in the background is the same make i think, the little plastic house in your bun's is the same as the one in there... That cage was about £50 with bowl, waterbottle. Millie, whose cage it is, it sort of a medium size rabbit but she has looooads of room in there, even manages the odd binky in the morning when it is time for her food!

Last edited:
i had a nose at your album (sorry lol i couldnt resist only 4 rabbit pics!) and she looks very like jason in one of them! I read your bonding post, hope you manage to get them both settled, the one at the back looks lovely too :D

aaah i don't mind, that is sweet of you to say about the bonding, hopefully i will be able to put some pics up of them together one day! Is Jason your first bun? x

yes he is, i had absolutely no intentions of getting a bun or had ever even been interested in them (in fact my dad was a game keeper when i was growing up, so i was really brought up believing they were pests :( ) however i went to a rescue centre to donate a hamster cage and the rescue lady offered to show me about. I saw him straight off as he really stood out amongst the other rabbits, they all seemed so perky and curious, where as he was just stock still in the corner.

The rescue lady told me about him and how he had been off his food and very subdued for a month and i couldnt resist. I did say that i had never had a rabbit before and no ida about them, so she gave me some advice, books and told me i could foster him for a week or two to see how we got on with him. Within a day of having him i phoned her back to say i would be adopting him and he has been with us nearly a week now, i am besotted!

How about you, are your girls your first buns?

yes they are! I decided i wanted a house rabbit and it took me literally about 6 months to persuade my partner it was a good idea, and now we have two! I love them so much, they are such amazing animals. I never thought a rabbit could have such a character! I just wish i had been more informed and got them from a rescue instead of the shop. I feel like such an idiot now, I know that any future bunnies i get will be rescued!
My partner loves them too, he is so funny, always buying them treats etc. Thay are defo hard work sometimes but so worth it, people think i am a nutter when they come to my house and see my two hairy companions! x

aw i dont think it really matters that much if you go about things the wrong way to begin with as long as the buns are happy! I wish i had done more research too before just fostering jason as if it hadnt of worked out it would have been yet another home that didnt keep him, luckily it has worked out :D

My partner loves jason too, he is normally quite careful with money but where jason is concerned i have been allowed to buy whatever i want for him and is always concerned about his care...oh when do we have to get his jabs done, when does he need neutered, does he have enough to chew on...:lol:

When my bunny was ill and had to come inside to recover he had to go in a cage and hated being locked up at night and would just run back and to in his cage but he had to be locked in at night as god knows what he would get up to. So I just ignored the behaviour and when it came to night time he had got use to the fact he had to be locked up at night.

However, I agree with the others perhaps a bigger cage or a dog crate would make him feel abit more comfortable about being locked up at night.

Back