• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Huge Respect to Rescues

Kay

Mama Doe
Just wanted to show my huge respect to all the rescues out there.

I have been helping out at the Rabbit Residence Rescue doing the admin but today I went to help out with the hard graft, and boy was it hard! I cleaned out 15 hutches which took me 3 hours! :shock: My back is aching and I feel like I have done a weeks workout.

The rabbits are all so sweet and friendly considering the horrendous backgrounds some of them have. There is the most gorgeous buck who's owners have just brought him to the rescue, he has been kept in a tiny hutch for 5 years and was crawling with mites poor thing. His back was all shaved for the mite treatment but with a lot of love and care he is doing great.

You rescues are amazing and I am in awe of the hard work and dedication you put in.

:D

I couldn't do it. The whole nursing and regaining their confidence and when they're well enough, having to say goodbye. Yes, I agree, huge respect.

Neil

Rescues... you guys are heroes! :thumb: the sacrifice and dedication you show is to be truly admired, well done you guys xxxx

I could never let an animal go! :oops: I think that's what makes rescues so special - you need to be a very unselfish person to rehome :D

Just wanted to show my huge respect to all the rescues out there.

I have been helping out at the Rabbit Residence Rescue doing the admin but today I went to help out with the hard graft, and boy was it hard! I cleaned out 15 hutches which took me 3 hours! :shock: My back is aching and I feel like I have done a weeks workout.

The rabbits are all so sweet and friendly considering the horrendous backgrounds some of them have. There is the most gorgeous buck who's owners have just brought him to the rescue, he has been kept in a tiny hutch for 5 years and was crawling with mites poor thing. His back was all shaved for the mite treatment but with a lot of love and care he is doing great.

You rescues are amazing and I am in awe of the hard work and dedication you put in.

:D

Well done to you for helping :D can I book you for this weekend? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

For me I have never had a problem letting rabbits go to their new homes. I have always concentrated my mind on accepting that a new home means that I can help another rabbit along the way as I am helping free up another space ... i can admit I have only kept one of my foster buns.

At the moment with mainly doing the bondings for ARC, the majority of my rabbits are only here for a very short while. I am forever meeting such lovely owners and by talking to them about how they are going to keep their rabbits, it rienforces to me that they will have a better lifestyle as many are going to live as house rabbits, some go to live in large summer houses with attatched runs ... there are very few who are going to live in a rabbit hutch with access to a run in the daytime when people are about.

I have to admit that I don't find rehoming that hard as I always know in my heart of hearts that I have found the bun their forever home and they have a chance of complete happiness:D

I say well done to you Kay for helping out and can I book you after hunnybun;):lol::lol:

I agree Kay. Its inspired me. I want to run a rabbit rescue one day too with dedicated and knowledgable carers to help. I would like to do more to educate the public too. I'm sick of the attitude that the rabbit is an inferior species and a pest or "rodent:censored:

I too have no problem letting them go to their new homes, some of them you do miss.

I would never let a rabbit go if i wasn't confident that they would get a higher level of care/ freedom etc than they get with me. If i do a home check and i wouldn't feel confident leaving any of my buns there they don't get one/ or two.

I love having any empty hutch, but it is never empty for long :cry:

Lol hunnybun and KayJ I am not taking bookings yet! hahaha :lol: though I seriously wish I could give up my job and help out everywhere.

Going back on Monday for another stint as long as the snow has cut us off :lol:

The only time I have help out is the Christmas Appeal opportunity to donate in the past 2 yr. And I'm glad I have a chance to help out.

Not sure where to write this but yesterday was my third week of volunteering at my local Rabbit Rescue and it was cool. I arrived in the middle of a snow flurry and found I was the only person there! Big responsibility but Caroline had some sick bunnies at her home so had to stay and look after them.

It was weird being there alone but I found the routine similar to that of running stables. It took a good 30 mins to open all the hutches and let the buns out, then an additional 30 mins to make sure they all had water and some grated carrot/hay. There are two giants at the rescue that are let out to wander up and down, they are lovely and made good company. I had to separate a group of wild x sisters who are 4 months old who have reached that boredom stage and had started to bicker. It is alot of responsibility being thrown in the deep end but I managed. We have started to clean up the yard and rabbit runs after the soggy winter. I always took pride in having my stable yard immaculate and have brought that to the rescue so when I left there was not a spec of sawdust on the floor of the yard. I brushed away all the cobwebs in the sheds and disinfected all surfaces. I am making a list of jobs I want to do ready for when I go back on Sunday including taking a rake and rubber gloves and clearing muck out of the warrens and neatening them up in general.

If your considering volunteering at your local rescue I really recommend it, however it is hard work and can be back breaking. I feel its a step in the right direction of one day having my own.

xx

i started helping Caroline a year ago the first time she was with me and went through everything, since then i have been on my own. I generally do Sunday mornings and sometimes i will open them up and go back later to feed them and put them away. This is a bit harder as is quite a distance and takes up the whole day but is very enjoyable.:D

You are both making me wish I could help Caroline or others! Kay and Suzanne - having been to her place its a lot for anyone to do, though I bet Caroline is very very happy to get some time away.

I am allowed 3 days a year volunteering from work - so perhaps I should use that to help rescues! I think I should.

Hi Sue, Caroline mentioned you and said you are wonderful and a huge help. Are you there this Sunday? I am going to be as my other half will be working again so I get bored if I stay at home. Plus Arthur gets bored of me! lol

Its a great place isn't it, I like my job but I don't get the same feeling of satisfaction that I get there.

xx

Rachel you really should go for it. I think any help at all is great. When you see just how much work there is to do it just shows how dedicated these rescues really are.

xx

Back