• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bunny help please!!

Lynzxx

New Kit
Hi everyone,

I picked up my 2 rescue bunnies on friday and they're gorgeous!! Only problems is (& you might laugh at me :oops:) is that one of them really scares me!! The male one is a little skitish but he's friendly, but the female one keeps lunging at me and also attacks evreything.......hay rack, dustpan, food bowl.....luckily not me yet though!!

My OH says it's cos she knows I'm nervous but I'm not sure what to do about it! I was cleaning their house out today and she started attacking stuff and I couldn't get out as she was near the door.....OMG, I'm a 31 year old woman scared of a little fluff ball!!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! :D

Thanks
Lynz xx

Ps, I'll post piccies asap (nice ones, not lunging ones...tee, hee)

I have got a bunny like that.He has been like that since the day i got him(three years)He is alot better than he was and lets me stroke him but he does tend to lunge especially when food is around:rolleyes:

I wondered if it might be a territorial thing too.......

The lady said that the male has been neutered but the female hasn't been spayed as I remember telling her that I'd get her done asap.

I've never had a bunny like this before, all my others have been cuddly and friendly...trust me to find the little terror out of about 20 bunnies at the rescue :lol:

I don't want to take them back as they seem to be happy here, the male was binkying today so my OH said...bless him!!!

Would spaying make her less territorial do you think?

Molly has been like that since we bought her home on Friday with her new husbun. She was like it before when she was bonded with Muffin and it settled in time, so I'm hoping she will do the same this time. She snuggles up to Monty but wont let him anywhere near the food bowl at the moment and growls at me if I go to move it.

Jerry, my female lop, was like that when I first got her. She started off just lunging without actually biting, but soon she was attacking my ankles everytime I walked past (she's a free range bunny), drawing blood. A while later I noticed that my poor cat was covered in bites all over her back from the rabbit. At that point I got Jerry neutered, and within a few weeks the change in her was amazing! She became (and still is) the most placid rabbit you have ever seen.

I would definitely advice getting her spayed, she will be a different rabbit once her hormones calm down.

I'm not sure how old they are as they lady at the RSPCA didn't know. She's had them for 9 months and they were unwanted pets so I'm think they'd be maybe 2 years ish so definately old enough to be spayed.

I've just been out to put the snugglesafe in to their bed and she wasn't happy!!! She'll be pleased when she's lovely and warm later though......

I might be worrying too much, but she just makes me jumpy!! I could live with her being like that, I'm just thinking about when I have to take her to the vets etc. I was told she's friendly and has never bitten anyone when I got her, so maybe it's me she doesn't like, eh!! :cry:

Alvin used to beat me up when i cleaned his cage, so now i lock them out of the room ;);)

im pretty scared of him but hes less mean now he trusts me, so the lunging and boxing does get better, i think its a lot to do with fear as well as territory big scary hands in the cage cant be nice for a scared bun :(...

it tends to just be the brush he beats up now :roll::roll:

She seems to absolutely hate the brush and dustpan too!! She was throwing them about and bunny kicking them!

The rabbits live in a playhouse so I have to get my whole body in there..... my OH said she's probably scared that i might stand on her....cheeky devil :evil:

my neutered boy bunny hates brushes with a passion too :lol: I have to sweep his hutch while he's playing over the other side of the patio. I would also recommend wearing gloves to put food etc in - a few of my rabbits have bitten or clawed me just from sheer excitement, so I have abandoned china rabbit dishes for little plastic cat dishes so I can have several and whip one out while they're not looking, and put one in quickly :) here's Benny and the brush - it must die!!! :D

P10100181.jpg

Here's a photo of the little darlings.....I had to feed them to get them to keep still as they're very lively!! Penny is the brown one (female) & Jack is the grey & white one.

BUNNIES.jpg

Last edited:
Awww they're beautiful!
I agree with the spaying - my girls have been much happier and much calmer after their spay.

Awww great pic. She'll definately calm dowm=n after being speyed.

I have a male bun called Billy who was really agressive when I first got him. He chased me around the dining room once and clamped onto my leg like a dog chewing on a bone!!

He's a lot better now and he's been neutered a while now, but I'm still a bit cautious of him

Oh no, that doesn't sound good being chased round by a bunny!!

Mind you, I daren't move Penny last night when she was by the door so I was stuck in their house with them.....& to top it off, one of my cats was the other side of the door meowing cos he wanted to come in!!

Think I need to just bite the bullet and show her who's boss :?

Thanks for all the replies.....pleased it's not just me!!

Oh no, that doesn't sound good being chased round by a bunny!!

Mind you, I daren't move Penny last night when she was by the door so I was stuck in their house with them.....& to top it off, one of my cats was the other side of the door meowing cos he wanted to come in!!

Think I need to just bite the bullet and show her who's boss :?

Thanks for all the replies.....pleased it's not just me!!

I had a bunny that used to lunge and bite my legs whenever i went into HER shed. The first time i just ran, then i thought if one of the others were hurt or needed me how would i get to them, i put on thick jeans and a pair of wellies and when she came at me i stood still. She bit the wellies one or twice but then got bored and chased the broom instead. Gloves are a must too. Try not to pull you hand away but don't deliberatly goad her. When she is spayed it should get better but with some buns it never goes completely. They just have strops!

aw i can imagine is pretty scary..most buns dont like their cages being cleanded as they have just got it how thy want it and then we go and spoil it! my two sit in the dust pan and try n chew the brush! they seem to like messin about in the bags and all the bits n bobs while im doin it so i let them stay...so they get used to it weekly.

Back